Author Topic: Help with parking lamp sockets  (Read 1019 times)

Offline martyjac

Help with parking lamp sockets
« on: May 02, 2020, 10:21:28 AM »
Looking to change the parking lamp socket on a '69 Shelby (Cougar) parking lamp. I don't want to damage the housing. Is there a trick to getting the old socket out of the lamp?
Thanks in advance

Offline 68blk500c

Re: Help with parking lamp sockets
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 10:54:01 AM »
Have used a small, sharp, 90 degree pick to gradually work up the lip of the socket; tedious work.  Others have been replacing sockets for years--what do they say?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 12:27:50 PM »
I may be mistaken, but there doesn't appear to any crimp on the socket. It just looks like a tight press fit.
Don is used to doing the 68 style i think. The 69/70 Shelby park light receptacle is held in place by a interference fit. The 69 Shelby park light will come out by supporting the back side with a deep well socket. You carefully tap down the receptacle on the front side with a deep well socket of the same outside diameter  turned upside down so that flat end rests on and supports the open end of the receptacle. I use some WD40 to lubricate the receptacle sides as I am tapping it down through the receptacle hole.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68blk500c

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
Tunnel vision.  How did you guess, Bob?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:09:00 AM »
Tunnel vision.  How did you guess, Bob?
After over several decades of knowing you I have a guessing advantage .  ;D
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby