Author Topic: Stripping Paint From Fiberglass -  (Read 2281 times)

Offline DougDyar

Re: Stripping Paint From Fiberglass -
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 07:20:47 AM »
Think fingernail brushes...

Fingernail brushes? I have to admit that I am not familiar with these. Being a guy, I usually use a sharp instrument like a knife or even a screwdriver when my digits need a little scraping and cleaning. I just googled these mysterious female tools and was astounded by their number and variety. Any suggestions on which to choose? I can't seem to find any rating on how well they remove paint...😀
0F02G203277
June 22, 1970 Dearborn BOSS 302

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2021, 10:59:04 AM »
Fingernail brushes? I have to admit that I am not familiar with these. Being a guy, I usually use a sharp instrument like a knife or even a screwdriver when my digits need a little scraping and cleaning. I just googled these mysterious female tools and was astounded by their number and variety. Any suggestions on which to choose? I can't seem to find any rating on how well they remove paint...😀
Something like this . https://www.amazon.com/Amazer-Comfort-Flexible-Bristles-Bathroom/dp/B07FCH67ZQ/ref=sr_1_50_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=hand+brush+scrubber&qid=1611934132&sr=8-50-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQzVDSlFBV0VXN1RXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQ5MDkwMTlBUlRCV1k5Wko1SSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjg4Njg5MTA1WFZRSjNYMjAxSCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0Zl9uZXh0JmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==  There are multiple variations .I just searched hand brush scrubber on amazon. you get the idea.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:30:30 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2021, 01:12:21 PM »
I did this using contractor garbage bags to keep the lye mixture from evaporating.
I did the same thing using Citristrip. I think the lye worked better.
Either method does require the stiff bristle brush that Bob mentioned to get to the recesses.

My main issue was temperature. When I just left either at garage temperature of under 50*F it took up to a week to make this work. If you keep it very warm it will work much quicker.

Either way this was a particularity nasty job and I do not look forward to doing the panels on my 65. I will wait until summer to do those.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2021, 08:35:58 PM »
Menards or home depot have the brushes.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2021, 09:57:55 PM »
So do most grocery stores. 
Never underestimate the deviousness of manufacturers to make things for housewives...
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2021, 06:16:05 PM »
I've done quite a few of these since I'm doing two fastbacks.

I've tried ambient temperatures for up to a week, heat lamps, outside under the sun, in contractor garbage bags, etc.

But the final method I tried really worked well and I was able to do 3 applications of the lye oven cleaner in one day.
For the rear interior quarters (on a 65 2+2) I sourced a 3x2x2 cardboard box. Spray the item and really hose it on. Like a lot of these kinds of products you have to cover the item with enough product so that it forms a skin. I use an acid rated respirator as I cannot tolerate the STRONG odors coming off the oven cleaner.
Put it in the box along with an Edison 100 watt light bulb on the bottom. No LEDs. Cover with the garbage bag or other 3+mil plastic. Do not let the plastic touch the item below. It does not need to be sealed, just covered. Let it sit for at least 3 hours.

Test how well things are going with the brush in one corner. If paint is coming off, take it outside and get a garden hose. Wet it down a bit and use what Amazon calls a drain cleaning brush. If you have two, cut one down so the bristles are around 3/8" long. With the water acting as a lubricant, start scrubbing. The first layer is always the toughest. I use 18" long gloves since lye and skin are not friends. Eye protection too.
Use an air gun, dry and repeat.

I've used the oven lye on 65 and 67 panels so it appears safe across many years. If you intend to do the whole inside of your fastback and some other misc items I would suggest a case of the 24oz size yellow cleaner. The stuff in the supermarkets is usually 14.5 oz.

Here is the 65 panel, all cleaned. This goes into a restomod so ignore the 6x9s. This did take about 6 applications to get everything off. The worst part is cleaning these off outside while it's raining. Plus, it's really messy.

On edit -- Add before pic. The scratches actually ended up in the paint, not the fiberglass.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:48:05 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion