Author Topic: Evapo-rust  (Read 1937 times)

Offline 68 GT

Evapo-rust
« on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:52 PM »
I've seen and have been suggested that Evapo-Rust is good for cleaning rusty parts for restoration. For doing large items such as leaf springs or coil springs, what are you guys soaking items that large in to be able to submerge them in the Evapo-Rust? I understand that this method of cleaning up rusty parts can be better than sand blasting, in some instances.

Still trying to determine if I want to restore my leaf & coil springs or replace them with ones from Eaton.

Thanks!!
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline OldGuy

Re: Evapo-rust
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
For de rusting leaf springs, I have used a section of 4" diameter pvc tubing with a tube cap attached to one end (creating a vertical "tank"). The tube length can be anything that you want it to be but I made it at least 3" longer than one half of the length of the longest spring leaf. You can flip the spring leaf over when half has been de rusted. You de rust one spring leaf at a time.

For coil springs, find a can or some type of plastic container that is large enough in diameter to accommodate the coil. If you can't find anything deep enough to cover the entire spring length, you can use the one half at a time concept as well.

I hope this helps.

Frank

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:01:21 PM »
Guys have mentioned using sections of rain gutter capped at ends, pvc tubing, wood framed lined with a plastic sheet as all possible ways to contain the liquid and the long thin spring leaves while for coil springs different sized buckets and trash cans
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 09:20:41 PM »
Thank you both! Nice to know you can just do 1/2 at at time! Didn't know if by doing that if you could tell a difference or not. And you don't have to use as much Evapo-Rust either. Seems it would take a lot to cover an entire coil spring, I like the idea of doing 1/2 at a time.
VIN 7T01C246XXX

VIN 8F01J208XXX

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 12:21:19 AM »
All I can say is ebay search for citric acid.  Buy a 10 lb bag for less than evaporust delivered.  Then large plastic trash can and your set.   A couple cups powder and 30-40 gallons of water in trash can 24-48 hours then flip and repeat.  Amazing results just by washing with green scratch pad like scrubbing a dish pan.  I did my rear end housing on a winter weekend in unheated garage.  Amazing results, no fumes, no chemicals no gloves, eyepro etc... Degreased and derusted.  And I still have most of the bag of citric acid left to do other parts.  I'll never buy evaporust again.
Dan
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 12:26:59 AM by HDAshmore »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 01:49:46 AM »
Dan, I'm guessing that the stuff you like strips paint also.

One thing that I like about evapo-rust is that it doesn't unless you soak it allot longer than need be. Never had it do it - just reports from others
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 02:31:20 AM »
I tried citric acid in my 20 gallon tub with mixed results.  Even had a heater going in the solution.  I would say it's ok, but results aren't as quick or as nice as evapo-rust.

To soak leaf springs, build a frame with 2x4 or 2x6 boards.  Lay down a couple layers of heavy mil plastic and then pour evapo-rust in with the springs.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:41:49 AM »
We have a local restoration company Auburn Cord Duesenberg that does custom blasting. I took my leaf springs to them, they used a wet bead blasting technique. They charge $60 per hour so it is quite reasonable.

You get better results by removing the factory leaf clamps first. I take the springs to be re - arched and rebuilt at Tulsa Spring company. The springs get new plastic slip pads on reassembly. Then I can do metal finishing. Finally install new spring clamps from Dead Nuts On.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:32 AM »
Gents,

Points acknowledged, I wont argue that Evaporust is not good. 

Citirc Acid did not take off any paint on my items.  It just took off all the rust, dirt and grime and grease/oil.  I was not in a rush so I just let it sit in there 24-48 hours. 

No fuss no muss no chemicals and especially no budget buster since Evaporust is not cheap.  I had great results on everything I put in it from brackets, pulleys, coil springs, rear end, brake backing plates etc...

I was only limited by the size of plastic trash can I had.  In the distant future I am going to take my leaf springs apart and do the same process.

However you go I wish you the best results possible. 

I want to thank all the members that put me onto Citric Acid in other posts.  You all saved me a fortune in time and materials.

Dan       

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 12:39:39 PM »
What is the ratio of powder/water used for citric acid?

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 01:31:27 PM »
That blue trash can in the pic had 2 to 3 cups powder and 30-40 gallons of water if memory recalls correctly.  Not heated just tap water in the winter in unheated garage.  I made sure it was stirred and dissolved well before putting parts and I pulled the rear end out a couple of times during process out of curiosity to see how it was working.

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »
That's interesting about the citric acid. I just checked with Eaton Springs, their springs come painted 🤪 Which is fine for the coils, but sounds like I would need to disassemble a brand new leaf pack, somehow strip the paint and reassemble. Wish Eaton's came natural..... Decisions, decisions...restore what I have or buy new Eaton's knowing I'll have to strip the paint from the leafs......
VIN 7T01C246XXX

VIN 8F01J208XXX

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2021, 04:18:37 PM »
That's interesting about the citric acid. I just checked with Eaton Springs, their springs come painted 🤪 Which is fine for the coils, but sounds like I would need to disassemble a brand new leaf pack, somehow strip the paint and reassemble. Wish Eaton's came natural..... Decisions, decisions...restore what I have or buy new Eaton's knowing I'll have to strip the paint from the leafs......

They used to offer unpainted for an upcharge... which seems completely backwards.

I've stripped a couple sets, is not a pleasant experience.  The stuff they paint with is very thick and hard to get off with regular brush-on paint stripper.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
That blue trash can in the pic had 2 to 3 cups powder and 30-40 gallons of water if memory recalls correctly.  Not heated just tap water in the winter in unheated garage.  I made sure it was stirred and dissolved well before putting parts and I pulled the rear end out a couple of times during process out of curiosity to see how it was working.

Thanks. My 20 gallon setup, I was not seeing any results after a couple days and no heat.  Poured the entire contents of one of the packs in there and got a heater going.  Only marginal results in my opinion.  Oh well.

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2021, 04:31:02 PM »
Seems worth asking Eaton if they offer unpainted leaf springs. Thanks for the tip!
VIN 7T01C246XXX

VIN 8F01J208XXX