Author Topic: Evapo-rust  (Read 1938 times)

Offline 68 GT

Re: Evapo-rust
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 05:11:50 PM »
Just got an email back from Eaton, they do not off unpainted leaf springs for Mustangs☹️
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 07:39:22 PM »
I just tried the Evaporust web site and got a unsafe site message. Be advised.
The reason I went to the site was to see if one of their "how to" segments was still there. But with the "red alert" - here's what I remember - they showed the frame of a pickup truck (brand "D") getting the Evaporust treatment by using a spray bottle with Evaporust (diluted or concentrate?) and a wire brush on the affected area. I guess it would work but would take longer.
There are "options".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 07:44:01 PM »
There is a old mechanics trick to keep a packet of grape or lemon kool aid in the tool box to remove rust in a pinch. Mix up a paste or more diluted to soak with grape of lemon Kool Aid. The citric acid in the ingredients eats rust. Not the best but one of those things that works somewhat in a pinch .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 08:12:13 PM »
Just got an email back from Eaton, they do not off unpainted leaf springs for Mustangs☹️
To remove the paint they shot peened mine while I waited (I?m local)  It was an extra fee.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 08:12:18 PM »
The Harbor Freight by me sells Evaporust gel for use on things that you can't dip. It pretty much stays where you put it. More expensive than wet bead blasting so it's not something I generally use.

RE: Eaton Detroit springs, I have had very mixed results with their springs. Got a set of leafs for a '67 390GT Mustang, they sagged by a couple inches in less than a year. Eaton Detroit replaced them under warranty but that didn't pay for the labor and down time. Two other sets of leaf springs from Eaton Detroit were way too high and had to be re - arched to get them to the stock ride height. So far none that were great right out of the box.

For me the cheapest and best option is usually original stuff that can be restored.   

I just tried the Evaporust web site and got a unsafe site message. Be advised.
The reason I went to the site was to see if one of their "how to" segments was still there. But with the "red alert" - here's what I remember - they showed the frame of a pickup truck (brand "D") getting the Evaporust treatment by using a spray bottle with Evaporust (diluted or concentrate?) and a wire brush on the affected area. I guess it would work but would take longer.
There are "options".
Jim
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 68 GT

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:25 PM »
 Yikes, I thought that Eaton's were the way to go, for a reproduction spring anyways..... I don't know if I need to get my original leaf springs re-arched or not. When we started to restore the car, the engine, trans, hood, fenders and such was already removed from the car. So I don't know what the ride height was like before we started. And, I didn't even think about measuring the ride height anyway.
VIN 7T01C246XXX
Actual build date 5-11-67

VIN 8F01J208XXX
Actual build date 6-27-68