Author Topic: Protecting surrounding areas using shim stock  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Protecting surrounding areas using shim stock
« on: May 22, 2021, 04:25:14 PM »
The stainless vent windows were presenting a problem in that the pivot used to have chrome on it. But the chrome degrades leaving the chrome in a sad flaking state and the brass underneath pitted as well. Yes, the pivot is brass.
While removing the pivot is possible, putting it back is very difficult due to the location of the rivet rollover within the U-channel. I won't discuss options here.
Some outfits will chrome the whole vent -- which is wrong. A repop is available which I heard is all chrome too.

Charles noted that Qual-Krom will plate just the pivot using tape or other media to keep the stainless from being plated. I contacted them and will have them do other pieces as well.

To keep costs down I decided to remove the chrome and the pits in the brass using a Dremel, file and sandpaper. I tried this on a spare vent frame using only yellow painter's tape to shield the frame but was always afraid of going through the tape and creating a difficult to remove gouge in the frame.

I then came upon the idea of using shim stock to get under or very close to the sides of the pivot. The whole idea is have the brass shim stock take any scrape or gouge rather than the frame. Thin shim stock cuts with scissors, bends very easily, yet protects. The shim stock is held in place with tape.

Although few here may want to tackle the vent frame, the idea of using shim stock around any area you need to protect may work for you. It would also work as a shield against weld spatter.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 04:27:19 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Protecting surrounding areas using shim stock
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 04:53:16 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences and results
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

Re: Protecting surrounding areas using shim stock
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »
An alternative method on a 67 vent window involved removal of the pivot, and having it chromed. The stainless frame was buffed.
To reattach the pivots, two small size number 4 or 6 studs (I don't remember the exact size) were drilled and taped into place on the pivot to match the holes in the frame. A small. thin hex nut completed the installation to the frame. Any threads protruding were ground off. 
Now to the interesting part.
You are going to say: The vent window glass won't fit.
You're correct.
The glass was "notched" to give clearance around the nuts and weatherstrip sealer.
How?
We used my bead blaster to notch the glass. Don't laugh (I did), it worked. I stopped laughing.
That was about 15 years ago.
Innovative, yes. Functional, yup!
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.