Author Topic: Cerakote for Drivers  (Read 1969 times)

Offline camp upshur

Cerakote for Drivers
« on: June 12, 2021, 03:05:48 AM »

Has anyone a first hand experience with Cerakote? Either catalyzed/baked or air cured, for suspension components such as leaf spring leafs, front spindles, etc. in varied tones.
Realize not pure concours, intended application is a 'cleaned-up' driver.
Search turned up zero (?).

Thank you,
Steve A
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 10:40:44 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline RoyceP

Re: Cerakote
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »
Ceramic powder coating is a high heat version of powder coating. I have had several sets of exhaust manifolds done this way. Cerakote is one brand.

Regular powder coating is well suited for things like lower and upper control arms. Not sure if it would hold up on springs due to flexing. No reason to use ceramic coatings when the heat is below 400* F. I often have rear axle housings powder coated for durability.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 12:50:10 PM »
For "restored" daily drivers, I get the sway bar, front bumper arms, rear bumper guard brackets, front crossmember and transmission mount powdered coated semi-gloss black as a means of protecting the metal from road gravel, etc.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline camp upshur

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 06:39:46 PM »
Thanks Jim and RoyceP.
I too have used powder coating and ceramic exhaust coating in the past, but I have a lot  to catch up on as the market has really moved along in color/sheen control. What little I?ve learned is that newer ceramics are very thin (1 mil) and colors now offered have more of a ?treated steel? thin sheen to them as opposed to powder?s thick solid colors. It seems a wet-sprayed (some heat cured-some not) application vice a dry powder-heat. The attached photo (hit to expand) piqued my interest.
Restored spindles have been hard to protect from surface rust in the past on a driver.
Steve A
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:45:09 PM by camp upshur »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cerakote for Drivers
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 10:42:27 PM »
That has been a challenge for years since the thick coating always produced a "dipped in plastic" look on the parts - removing and hiding both rust pitting but also machine marks, welds and other surface details one would want to have if restoring a car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »
Thanks Jim and RoyceP.
I too have used powder coating and ceramic exhaust coating in the past, but I have a lot  to catch up on as the market has really moved along in color/sheen control. What little I?ve learned is that newer ceramics are very thin (1 mil) and colors now offered have more of a ?treated steel? thin sheen to them as opposed to powder?s thick solid colors. It seems a wet-sprayed (some heat cured-some not) application vice a dry powder-heat. The attached photo (hit to expand) piqued my interest.
Restored spindles have been hard to protect from surface rust in the past on a driver.
Steve A
Just my thoughts: I would never paint or powder coat the area on the spindles that the bearings/races ride upon.  Those are tight tolerances and were designed for metal on metal contact.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline camp upshur

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 01:58:45 AM »

I would hope that that would be self-evident on a forum of this calibre!  :o
The posted photo was to elucidate the finish applied as addressed.
Likewise that blue spindle!!
The pic was to depict the detail/steel imperfections telegraphing through the 1 mil application and the differences in hue from conventional powercoating.

Cheers,
Steve A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 02:01:26 PM »
I would hope that that would be self-evident on a forum of this calibre!  :o
The posted photo was to elucidate the finish applied as addressed.
Likewise that blue spindle!!
There are a lot of new members that "see" what is presented and accept it as 100 percent gospel. You got to be careful. It's the "calibre" you mentioned.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.