Author Topic: type of rivets and rivet tool to reassemble small riveted parts  (Read 2097 times)

Offline HDAshmore

Team,

Good evening.

I am looking at things like ash tray, inner door window stop felt pieces, heater/fan control panels, heater box attachments and other odds and ends, I see little round top rivets joining pieces together. Some are metal and some are nylon or plastic. Can anyone point me where to find all these different rivets and rivet tools.  Many of these pieces appear to be easily disassembled for proper restoration.  However putting them back together will require identifying the correct rivets and riveter.  Any assistance appreciated if locating references or a place to order required rivets and tools.

Thanks,
Dan 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: type of rivets and rivet tool to reassemble small riveted parts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 11:49:39 AM »
The ones used on the ash-tray and others are called semi-tubular rivets.  There are several sources for them.  I'm not sure if anyone has come up with a comprehensive list of all the sizes.  These normally are used in completed parts/sub-assemblies, so would not normally be called out in the Ford fastener list.

A hand rivet squeezer can be used to secure most applications.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 01:40:16 PM »
Rivets and associated tools have been discussed a lot. Try the "search".
From what I've determined, Ford, and its suppliers, used industry standard rivets. Your best technique to find a specific rivet is to use a dial caliper and measure certain rivet criteria and match your measurements to a rivet supplier.
I use "jay-cee sales and rivet inc" -  https://rivetsinstock.com/
The critical dimensions and characteristics are:
head diameter (to determine the top die);
head height (also to determine the top die);
rivet diameter (you usually have to drill out the existing rivet to determine this with the dial calipers);
grip range (this is your "length", in other words, the thickness of what you want to rivet together falls in a "range", and the rolled over bottom is usually included in the "range");
rivet type (most of the typed found in Mustangs are "semi-tubular", they have an indent in the bottom for a dimple on the die to engage with. There are solid and pop-rivets also used);
material (mostly aluminum types were used for the smaller applications, a magnet helps);
finish (usually is a bare aluminum rivet, sometimes painted; some are dark and are steel);
Jim
The above link sells the rivet tool and dies. There are others.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:47:02 PM by jwc66k »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 01:42:25 AM »
Gents,

Thank you. This helps.

Dan

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 07:11:06 AM »
I find the local Grainger has a huge supply of every imaginable type of rivet and tool. Sometimes not in stock locally but it gets free shipping from wherever it is to my local store.
https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/rivets/tubular-and-semi-tubular-rivets

1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:28:34 PM »
I find the local Grainger has a huge supply of every imaginable type of rivet and tool. Sometimes not in stock locally but it gets free shipping from wherever it is to my local store.
https://www.grainger.com/category/fasteners/rivets/tubular-and-semi-tubular-rivets
Granger is a good source and I have several bags of their rivets on my shelves. They are a general hardware supplier and are not that good in answering specific rivet questions. That's why I use "jay-cee sales and rivet inc" -  https://rivetsinstock.com/
To give you an idea what information is displayed, and what you will need to determine, here is a Granger rivet spec sheet:
https://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-3-16-in-Aluminum-Semi-Tubular-1HDL3
Off hand, I can't remember what I used it for.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline HDAshmore

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »
Gents,

Thank you for all the advice and shared experience. 

I wish there was an reference that depicted what rivets for what on mustang parts and pieces.  Some of them appear to be really small or made of plastic, nylon and of course metal and aluminum.  It would sure come in handy to reassemble parts separated for plating and painting.  Easy to drill out rivets, not so easy to replace with correct style and size without a reference.

Thanks for all the great advice again,
Dan