Author Topic: 1968 louvered hood  (Read 12572 times)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 louvered hood
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
do a google search for 'monroney sticker'.
5F09C331248

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 10:35:46 PM »
Wrote the "Test?

That was supposed to read "text"  :-[
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »
Unsure what GTCS or GT have to do with a louvered hood?  Never seen flat/louvered hood noted as included/excluded with either option. ???

Here's the reference that was clipped from a reproduction window sticker that was part of an Elite Marti report. "FUNC LOUVERED HOOD" is listed as part of the GT/CS Equipment Package. This is just one piece of evidence; no conclusions yet. I'm not very familiar with Cal Specials - were they all delivered with louvered hoods? Does anyone have other, better official documetation that the louvered hood was standard with the GT/CS package?

Shelbys - I don't know much about those either. My assumption is that Ford would have installed the non-louvered hood, since it wasn't going to end up on the finished product anyway. thecoralsnake.com has some photos (one shown below) of cars awaiting shipment to A.O. Smith, one of which appears to have the plain hood. Is this a correct assumption?
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »
The louvered hood was part of the GTCS and GT packages so it would not be listed in the option list.
Marty

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
The louvered hood was part of the GTCS and GT packages so it would not be listed in the option list.
Marty

Marty, do you know of any Ford documents explaining that definitively? I'm not disputing the statement, as that certainly appears to be the case. It would be nice to cite an official source in my writeup on the '68 louvered hoods. The Shelbys, GTs and GT/CSs will probably be pretty straightforward to pin down, but the base model cars seem to have a lot of opinions floating around as to the standard/optional nature of the hood, and how that may or may not have been related to the '67 strike. Whatever really happened, I'm attempting to document it for posterity, and it would be beneficial to reference source material from Ford, if any is available.
Dave Z.

Offline sportyworty

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 12:34:52 PM »
+1 Marty

The 68.5 R code 428 Cobra Jet GT Mustang would be an exception due to the hood scoop. That would include the GT/CS and HCS as well.

Kerry

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
Hi Marty, Just FYI, my 68 GT fastback mentioned above (7/18/68 Metuchen) has the GT Equipment group and the louvered hood mentioned as a separate options on the Marti report ( also has the "Black out hood" , referred as "Two Tone Hood" in the factory sales literature  listed as a third option ) 

The sales brochure doesn't mention the hood as part of the GT option but does list it as a separate option ( to give the Mustang a "unique, continental flair"   :)  )

I'm wondering if the hood was made optional post strike like the bumper guards, or if every Marti report for a GT lists the hood as a separate option. It may also be a case of charging the customer for something they would have gotten for free, like the "quick steering" option on 69/70 power steering cars.......

Just for the record, my car doesn't have wheel lip moldings, does have the "visibility group" , not sure what that even includes.....

Hope this helps, John

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
Hi Marty, Just FYI, my 68 GT fastback mentioned above (7/18/68 Metuchen) has the GT Equipment group and the louvered hood mentioned as a separate options on the Marti report ( also has the "Black out hood" , referred as "Two Tone Hood" in the factory sales literature  listed as a third option ) 

The sales brochure doesn't mention the hood as part of the GT option but does list it as a separate option ( to give the Mustang a "unique, continental flair"   :)  )

I'm wondering if the hood was made optional post strike like the bumper guards, or if every Marti report for a GT lists the hood as a separate option. It may also be a case of charging the customer for something they would have gotten for free, like the "quick steering" option on 69/70 power steering cars.......

Just for the record, my car doesn't have wheel lip moldings, does have the "visibility group" , not sure what that even includes.....

Hope this helps, John

You didn't mention your car being a GT in your earlier post. That's an interesting development! I will have to check the data I've compiled so far (at work right now), but I believe yours is the only GT in the collection that has the louvered hood listed separately. So far I'm not seeing anything in the data that supports the pre/post strike theory, but I don't have nearly enough data yet to form any conclusions either way.
Dave Z.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
Marty, do you know of any Ford documents explaining that definitively? I'm not disputing the statement, as that certainly appears to be the case. It would be nice to cite an official source in my writeup on the '68 louvered hoods. The Shelbys, GTs and GT/CSs will probably be pretty straightforward to pin down, but the base model cars seem to have a lot of opinions floating around as to the standard/optional nature of the hood, and how that may or may not have been related to the '67 strike. Whatever really happened, I'm attempting to document it for posterity, and it would be beneficial to reference source material from Ford, if any is available.
You have the Ford documentation on the window sticker for the GTCS it is listed as part od the package. 70cj428 is correct it is not part of the GT package. It is however part of the sports sprint package.
Here is a Ford sales addendum dated 12-12-67 to make the louvered hood optional.
Hope this helps
Marty

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 03:25:41 PM »
That's interesting, as it looks like that sales addendum documents all the post strike changes ( I think the strike was settled the end of October, 67) as it includes the bumper guards and the windshield and lower dash padding, along with the louvered hood.

The addendum implies that the louvered hood was standard on something before 12/8, so it's very possible it was standard on the GT before the strike, and optional on the GT after 12/8

JMHO,  John

Completely unrelated, but it looks like there were no 4 speed Falcons after 12/8 either......
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 03:29:51 PM by 70cj428 »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »

Completely unrelated, but it looks like there were no 4 speed Falcons after 12/8 either......

Falcons were on their way out the door when Mustang arrived in '64! Proof that if you wanted a Perfomance Falcon post strike (302 w/4-speed) you would have to instead "Pony-Up!"
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 04:42:17 PM »
The addendum implies that the louvered hood was standard on something before 12/8, so it's very possible it was standard on the GT before the strike, and optional on the GT after 12/8

I had stated this in the other thread that led to this one. Again, for the 68 model year the turn-signal hood was listed as standard equipment for Mustangs. After the  strike it became optional equipment like the bumper guards. The strike ended in November and production started back up close to thanksgiving. I believe the 12/8 coincides close enough to the end of strike date and Ford clearly needed to cut costs in order to maintain some level of profitability for the model year.

I am not saying that ALL pre-strike 68 Mustangs came with the turn signal hood, but that was the intent of Ford.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
You have the Ford documentation on the window sticker for the GTCS it is listed as part od the package. 70cj428 is correct it is not part of the GT package. It is however part of the sports sprint package.
Here is a Ford sales addendum dated 12-12-67 to make the louvered hood optional.
Hope this helps
Marty

Excellent, thank you Marty! That clearly shows Ford's intent. I'm trying to determine the extent to which they followed though on that, as I have info now on a number of base-model cars that were built after that date with louvered hoods, without it being listed as an option in the order information.
Dave Z.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 09:11:58 PM »
I might be wrong but I didn't think that the louvered hood was part of the GT package, as was the case in 1967.
Brad

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »
It wasn't part of the GT package in 67 it was part of the exterior decor option
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660