Author Topic: Has there been much concours info gathered here on 7-Litre Galaxies?  (Read 6384 times)

Offline 66SevenLitre

Hi all,

I have a black 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre 4-speed which I've painstakingly restored from the ground up. These cars aren't easy to do thanks to the fact there aren't a ton of parts reproduced, the restored values aren't significantly high and frankly they're not very well known. 

But they do have good lineage in that together with the 406 and successor 427 they helped put Ford on the map in the early 1960s racing circuits, with the peak being mid-1965 when the side oiler was finally introduced.  But it should also be noted Ford also launched the next-generation full-size platform in `65 based on a full perimeter frame featuring torque boxes, a three-link rear system using coils & track bar, and a front setup using coil springs with upper A-arms and lower control arms with strut rods. 

End result was an ideal platform for racing thanks to its rugged design, low perch, adjustable characteristics and exceptional handling.  NASCAR builders used the basics of the Galaxie front suspension design in all Fords and most GM/Chrysler race cars until the 1980s. But what's also interesting is the same platform offered marketing whiz Lee Iacocca, then president of Ford, the opportunity to launch a luxury car aimed at the masses.  By adding softer shocks and springs, together with perimeter frame, rubber body mounts, torque boxes, improved sound deadening and glittery interiors, the "LTD" was born. 

The 7-Litre was something between luxury and performance while also offering Ford a unique brand for it's new 428 engine being introduced in the thick of the cubic inch wars.  Ford needed a more reliable, every-day big block over the 390 which to help market it's premiere brands like the `66 7-Litre and Thunderbird.  So out came the 428. 

But you also had the option of ordering an R-code 427 8V for your 7-Litre.  Either way, the cars came with decent performance, safety and luxury/convenience options as standard such as a 428 4V, dual exhaust, disk brakes, bucket seats, center console, special badging and other items.  You could also add goodies to increase your HP through the Ford Total Performance program such as cast iron headers, aluminum intakes and many other upgrades.

Still, by 1966, the shift to mid-sized cars had already begun and the rise of the Pony cars was in full swing.  In effect, the 7-Litre was doomed from the start.  By the end of the year, only around 11K were sold.  In 1967 it was offered as an option-only and the year after it was gone.  Ford took a few more swings at full size performance cars including the 429 XLs and Mercury Marauder X100s but by the early 70s they were phased out as the industry faced skyrocketing insurance premiums and eventually the oil embargo.  The late 70s 460 police interceptor Customs/LTDs were the last gasp and actually pretty good cars all things considered (except gas mileage of course).   

History aside, I've found it challenging not only to restore this car, but to get the details right. 

That's partly due to the fact there just isn't the wide following.  The support groups are smaller and documentation can be scarce at times.  While I've registered with the 7-Litre Registry and have been in touch with numerous experts and sources including John Smith, Dave Walters and even Kevin Marti, still I'm surprised at the amount of information gaps I've found. 

For instance, while there's a fairly good amount of documented evidence and information about factory ink stamps, daubs and correct decal/tag information here for Mustangs, there's very little documentation/info out there on factory markings, ink stamps and even engine decals for 7-Litres.  John Smith has a terrific series of articles published 15 years ago documenting the markings for 7-Litres made at the Dallas plant (fortunately like mine) but as you all know the manufacturing processes varied depending on the plant. 

Nonetheless, with all the great work done here by Jeff Speegle and countless other owners who've contributed much knowledge, info, pictures, documentation and so forth, I thought I'd sign up to the forum with the idea I can at least start contributing for any 1966 7-Litre owners out there.  Always nice to support our fellow Ford brothers never mind park our cars next to one another at car shows. 

If anyone has documentation on factory markings, engine decals or ink stamps please reach out.  Otherwise, I'll share what I find over time.  Thanks to all - Roger 

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Has there been much concours info gathered here on 7-Litre Galaxies?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
(wiping drool from my chin... :8 ) Nice car! My favorite 60's era Ford car...and BLACK with a 4-speed!... Oh!, and WELCOME! lol!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline JP Emerson

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
Roger,

About a month or so back I wrote an article about a 7 Litre.
http://www.FordMuscle.com/features/power-profile-steve-smith/

I found sources for information difficult at that time also.
I'd like to hear more about yours though!

JP Emerson
Ford Muscle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 05:22:26 PM »
First welcome to the site and our little corner of the internet.

Can't promise you allot of feedback and help since its a different car built at different (than our main focus) plant but you should find at least moral support :)  restoration tips, service leads and helpful hints here. Start a thread in the Non-Mustang Ford Models 1965-73 section and see what happens.

The vast majority of the site will still remain focused on our designated purpose but in the meantime there is room currently to spread out as long as we keep it all tidy  ::)

Plant a seed and see if it will grow.

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 11:06:22 PM »
My first car was a white '66 Galaxie 2dr hardtop with a 6 cylinder 3 speed on the column. It would smoke the tires pretty easily  ;D
I kinda wish I still had it but then I wouldn't have my Shelby. I was a poor boy then..just like now. :D

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline 66SevenLitre

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:36 PM »
Thanks all for the replies.  Nice to "meet" ya. 

Sounds like Mr 67gtasanjose is from San Jose ... good to know as I am here as well.  To JP, I read your article and that's quite a collection Steve has.  Hat's off to anyone who builds a Ford with Holman Moody.  Sounds like that H/M NASCAR 429 Mustang will be a show stopper.  To TOB, have to say ripping tires with a straight 6 in a 3500lb car is something.  Interestingly, Ford offered every engine combo in their line of Interceptors, including the "Deputy Police Special Six". 

To Jeff, first, a big thank you from all your fellow Ford brothers for starting this site and helping to create a "repository" for all kinds of knowledge, information, documents and what not.  You've and all the contributors here have provided a service that will last for as long as combustion engine cars will remain on the road (hopefully forever). 

I'll do as you said and start a thread in the Non-Mustang Ford Models 1965-73 section. 

Thanks again.  Roger

Offline 66SevenLitre

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
By the way, the difference between the 1966 P-code Galaxie 428 Interceptors and the 1966 Q-code Galaxie 7-Litres was that the Interceptor 428s had high-lift cams, solid lifters, HD valve springs, an aluminum version of the 427 medium riser intake, a calibrated speedometer, HD front/rear rubber floor mats and HD seat foam. 

Beyond that, the 7-Litres and Interceptors were the same - both had HD suspension, HD cooling, 31-spline rear axles, dual exhaust, HD batteries and 15 x 6 wheels.  But the 7-Litres came with power disc brakes (Interceptors were drum) plus there were upgrade options such as Limited Slip, big-input close ratio Toploader, glass packs or even a 427. 

Also, buyers could order anything over the counter via Fords Total Performance program including an aluminum 4V intake, a complete 3x2V carb/intake setup, cast iron headers, tachometers & gauges, transistorized ignition and other goodies.  Then again, some local governments modified a few cop cars with these upgrades. 

Fun stuff, no?? 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:34:03 PM by 66SevenLitre »

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »
I’ll take one in dark blue, station wagon with a 4-speed.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
Going to move the thread over to an appropriate section since its remained in the General section long enough to introduce yourself and establish some thoughts as you move forward

Thanks for the kind comments. The site was originally established as an invite and offer to build something for a focused Concours site by the original owner of the site to Charles T and he talked me into coming over with him from VMF. We purchased the site a few years back after the original owner decided that he wanted to do other things with his time.

We both appreciate all the support and help members have provided the community since we opened and hope that it will continue as a unique and special little focus group here on the web

Again.... welcome to the site
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)