Author Topic: drive shaft stipes  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
drive shaft stipes
« on: February 05, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »
I have my original build sheet which shows the stripes to be light blue dark green yellow (LB DG YL).  The drive shaft is not original to the car, but since I have the build sheet I would like to put them on the used shaft I found.  The question is the location of the stripes.  I have looked at examples of dearborn cars from the same years and they all seem to have a single stripe (color varies) at the rear and a series of 3 or 4 in the middle.  I'm not sure what order and where these three colors I found on the build sheet might have been placed.  I did see in one post that the order of the colors is from front to back. 

David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: drive shaft stipes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »
Normally the stripes start about a third to a quarter of the way back and normally follow the build sheet (as they are listed) front to back
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Stangly

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:59:10 AM »
Jeff,

Is there typically a group of them a third of the way back and then one solo stripe at the rear end.  The replacement shaft I found has a group of three about the middle and then one single stripe at the rear.  These colors don't match my build sheet but I figure the location gives me a good starting point.  Not sure what plant this replacement shaft came out of?

Thank you,

David,
69 Sports Roof 302 2V (numbers matching)
Dearborn (June build date) Acapulco Blue
68 Coupe J-Code
San Jose (June build date) Sea Foam Green
2001 V6 Laser Red
2015 GT Deep Impact Blue

Online ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:10 AM »
I don't know if it will help but here is my late SJ 68 289 2V auto shaft. Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:26 PM »
Jeff,
Is there typically a group of them a third of the way back and then one solo stripe at the rear end.  The replacement shaft I found has a group of three about the middle and then one single stripe at the rear.  These colors don't match my build sheet but I figure the location gives me a good starting point.  Not sure what plant this replacement shaft came out of?

Forgive me  (and thanks Marty) was recalling early driveline markings rather than 68 - up ones. Yes those were often marked with the id marks sort of in the middle and sometimes with a fourth mark towards the rear.

Again sorry for the confusion but it does demonstrate the value of an open forum where things can be caught and corrected quickly.

Marty - did you find orange on your driveline ends when you cleaned them? Thought those were smaller ends than the CJ - Hmm guess I need to look at the books
Jeff Speegle

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 03:19:24 AM »
Here are pictures of my driveshaft off my 1970 Dearborn sportsroof, that just came out of an evaporust bath, showing various markings.  Both ends of the driveshaft appeared to be red oxide-ish, and the transmission yoke end may have been completely yellow.  My stripes in the middle were light blue, white? and yellow, with maybe a double brown stripe toward one end?  (I thought it might be rust residue until I saw other pictures with stripes in that area).

Hope this is of some help.

Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
Here are pictures of my driveshaft off my 1970 Dearborn sportsroof, that just came out of an evaporust bath, showing various markings.  Both ends of the driveshaft appeared to be red oxide-ish, and the transmission yoke end may have been completely yellow.  My stripes in the middle were light blue, white? and yellow, with maybe a double brown stripe toward one end?  (I thought it might be rust residue until I saw other pictures with stripes in that area).

Though it might not help allot in this discussion (different year application) what transmisson did your 1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970 come with ?
Jeff Speegle

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »
My 70 has an automatic transmission.  (I will add that to my signature line).
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline app01

• Make Your Car Stand Out with A Custom Showboard from
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
here is a pic of my 70 Mach 1, 351C, FMX, Metuchan built, with the exact locations of the original stripes..

Hope this helps.
Currently own:
1970 Boss 302 - Yellow- May 1970, Dearborn
1970 Mach 1 -Sept 1969, Metuchen
1962 Corvette 340hp

Previously Owned:
1967 Mustang Convertible (My 1st car)
1970 Mach 1 (my 2nd car)
1989 GT
1969 Mach 1 (<29k miles, Unrestored, MCA Gold)-sold in 2012

MCA #62598

www.PalmieriConcepts.com