Author Topic: 65-67 group 22 Autolite Battery Discussion  (Read 19185 times)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Autolite Group 24 Battery
« Reply #120 on: July 11, 2022, 08:08:39 PM »
The top of the assembly line 65-66-67 battery has the same appearance on group 22 or 24.  Group 22 is basically just smaller than a 24, the size of the warning lettering is still the same though.  Attached is a pic of an original car with a 24 and a pic of a 22.

There is no reproduction of either of these.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 65IVYGT

« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2022, 08:25:44 PM »
Thank you, as usual, Charles.
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2022, 12:48:22 AM »
Lots of pictures if you did a searxh.

Going to move this over the the main Grp 22 Battery thread
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65IVYGT

Re: 65-67 group 22 Autolite Battery Discussion
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »
I did look...and, yes, many pictures...but nobody "confirming" exactly what a correct early Group 24 looked like. In any event, I see the early Autolite (22) has a marking on the top (looks like numbers). How is it interpreted? I assume, based on the thread, that if there were a date code, it would be on the bottom. Thx..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:44:47 PM by 65IVYGT »
65 GT Coupe, SJ:5/17, Factory Air and PS, 4-Speed, Ivy Green, Pony Interior.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2022, 09:48:38 PM »
I did look...and, yes, many pictures...but nobody "confirming" exactly what a correct early Group 24 looked like.

Now that we've got that in the thread it will help others

In any event, I see the early Autolite (22) has a marking on the top (looks like numbers). How is it interpreted? I assume, based on the thread, that if there were a date code, it would be on the bottom. Thx..

Depending on when the batter was made you can find examples of them, so far cast into the bottom of the case or stamped on the post. Both dates I've found are shown in the pictures below
Now the case date may just be when it was cast and the upper post when the battery was assembled but I do have other examples from other period where the post is shaped differently and does not have the provision for the date in that location. By that time it also appears that the plants and possibly the dealers, when a new patter was sold to retain the warranty, the top of the case was etched or heat stamped for that purpose. That is a practice we see carried on into the 1970 or so. Out side of the focus of this thread and your particular focus.

I read the date as April 66

And Oct 66 for this one

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:55:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2022, 01:07:48 AM »
Since we're visited this thread again thought I would post a handful of pictures of some additional details and findings.

As been discussed above the question about dating the battery thought I would stay with that and a detail about the posts found on 66-67 Autolite battiers I have pictures of. Some of these pictures have been posted on forums, sent to me or ones I've taken

So far we've seen a date on the bottom that possibly identifies when the base of the case was cast/made.

Then we have another date visible from above that may identify when the battery was assembled - on the negative post base or it may be related to the starting date for the warranty. On batteries from 67 I've got a couple of cases where there is a heat stamp on the top which I do believe is warranty related 

In addition to the two pictures above that show dates and post design being used in spring of 66 I offer the following.

Two other post designs in addition to the one above. One with a raised section of the case, a ring and another that is scalloped. The scalloped version has a June 67 date it appears. Don't know what the information or coding is on the end of the negative post.

What I believe is a 1967 date example with casting date and the top heat stamp date and additional coding

Another example of the same heat stamped top surface. Same location. This pictures is one from Bob G but can't make out for certain the second digit of the year 6?

Hope this helps the discussion, understanding and others
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 01:10:30 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2022, 06:31:00 AM »
A point of clarity, It is my understanding that 66 or 67 22F and 24F batteries DID NOT originally have red embossed letters on them.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
A point of clarity, It is my understanding that 66 or 67 22F and 24F batteries DID NOT originally have red embossed letters on them.
The 65,66,and 67 assemblyline versions typically did not have the red embossed letters from evidence. The service replacements of the same years which looked different seemed to typically have the letters in red.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2022, 11:51:18 AM »
Since we're visited this thread again thought I would post a handful of pictures of some additional details and findings.

As been discussed above the question about dating the battery thought I would stay with that and a detail about the posts found on 66-67 Autolite battiers I have pictures of. Some of these pictures have been posted on forums, sent to me or ones I've taken

So far we've seen a date on the bottom that possibly identifies when the base of the case was cast/made.

Then we have another date visible from above that may identify when the battery was assembled - on the negative post base or it may be related to the starting date for the warranty. On batteries from 67 I've got a couple of cases where there is a heat stamp on the top which I do believe is warranty related 

In addition to the two pictures above that show dates and post design being used in spring of 66 I offer the following.

Two other post designs in addition to the one above. One with a raised section of the case, a ring and another that is scalloped. The scalloped version has a June 67 date it appears. Don't know what the information or coding is on the end of the negative post.

What I believe is a 1967 date example with casting date and the top heat stamp date and additional coding

Another example of the same heat stamped top surface. Same location. This pictures is one from Bob G but can't make out for certain the second digit of the year 6?

Hope this helps the discussion, understanding and others
The heat stamped date of the completed battery assembly was the most typical way that I have seen of the early as well as later batteries.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2022, 03:00:36 PM »

After all these years telling which are assembly line and which are period NOS can be difficult especially since, for many part, parts made by the supplier provided parts to the car assembly plants and to the parts supply side of Ford - the dealerships.  Not saying that the plan was not to have a difference between two batteries built the same day. Guess we have to at this point (agreeing with Bob)  report that service parts when found have had the red letters but personally not sure that I would deduct for red letters on a battery in a show car at a show since IMHO the possibility is there. If your concerned about showing then there is just one option. Others will be different  :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2022, 06:43:36 PM »
The pictures of batteries that Jeff shows are assemblyline type batteries with the yellow lettering between the terminal posts. The service replacement batteries typically do not have that same yellow lettering in between the posts instead they have warning stickers  punch out for dates that document put into service date for warranty purposes. I too have a hard time docking for painted letters when viewing a real assemblyline battery however the overwhelming majority of the time the issue is the 68 and later style repro battery being used so the letters painted or not are the least of the problem.   
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 06:45:49 PM by Bob Gaines »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2022, 06:49:21 PM »
The pictures of batteries that Jeff shows are assemblyline type batteries with the yellow lettering between the terminal posts. The service replacement batteries typically do not have that same yellow lettering in between the posts instead they have warning stickers  punch out for dates that document put into service date for warranty purposes. I too have a hard time docking for painted letters when viewing a real assemblyline battery however the overwhelming majority of the time the issue is the 68 and later style repro battery being used so the letters painted or not are the least of the problem.

Bob I've seen - need to get some pictures - of very early service replacements that have the lettering that were boxed in 66 and 67 before they changed and added the warranty tag/label. Pre 68 ones. These have been near impossible to find over the years since stock was used up quickly - First in first out.

Friend has one in the Autolite box and that one is the only one I've seen in person. Empty and never had acid in it
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2022, 11:32:20 PM »
JEFF

please check your email as i have sent you some images of said battery in my posession and that im happy for you to use/share on this forum.

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Andre Romein

Re: 65-67 group 22 Auolite Battery Discussion
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2022, 04:35:35 PM »
I found this battery to fit inside the case with plenty of room for the cables. Specs look good for cranking up an engine too.

The case (bought from Va. Classic a few months ago) has terminals to bolt any connections onto as well.

Now, just to figure out how I wish to mimic the proper top details, closest simulation I have found so far is a yellow lettering label that comes on a Battery topper (fits into the location where the reproduction case has a raised surface for the 68-up style warranty decal).

By the way, NPD NOW CARRIES THE EMPTY SHELL CASES!

"Braille Battery B2618: Advanced AGM Lightweight Racing Battery 18.5 lbs - JEGS High Performance" https://www.jegs.com/i/Braille+Auto/147/B2618/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjw4ayUBhA4EiwATWyBrpcjuaLjjjjWZcMiR6zlDg7llVS7j-N0Ogfc3hZe9PvVnIArnzJMPRoCg9EQAvD_BwE
how do you charge the battery? Is it connect to the altenator? My gel battery was melted after a drive of 1,5 hour

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 65-67 group 22 Auolite Battery Discussion
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2022, 07:57:25 PM »
how do you charge the battery? Is it connect to the altenator? My gel battery was melted after a drive of 1,5 hour
I would verify that your regulator is working properly given your overcharged problem.