Author Topic: Best Bumper Bolts  (Read 838 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Best Bumper Bolts
« on: March 06, 2020, 06:21:38 AM »
I purchased a set of what I thought to be AMK bumper bolts with washers & nuts from NPD. I just checked my invoice and see the set was for front and rear, but not noted as AMK or Concours.

They simply look like crap. Unfortunately, I hadn't opened the packaging when they first arrived in 2018 so I guess I am stuck with them.

I assumed new AMK is the Go To product but before I buy again, what do others know?

Jim's spreadsheets indicate that the original ones had a stainless cap on the larger bolts and a stainless carriage bolts on the two ends (front), so are the AMK individual front and rear sets what I should have ordered?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:35:28 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

Re: Best Bumper Bolts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 12:26:34 PM »
Richard,
AMK kits sometimes leave a bit to be desired. Could you post some pictures, specifically the nuts. Max at AMK has been receptive to feedback so maybe something positive can happen.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
If they were from AMK, they would have come in AMK packaging.  I believe they might have had a bulk supply of NOS at some point as they had a letter marking on the bottom of the bolts like original...

An issue with repro front bumper bolts is the outer bolts, that attach the small brackets that bolt to the fenders.  Those bumper bolts were usually flat on top, repro always come domed like the big ones.  I've observed this for 65-66, but it may apply to later years.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:05:26 PM »
I've begun thinking about that big pile of stuff I need to get chromed.
And I ran across some of the original bumper bolts.

I'd like to have my chrome guy emulate factory level chrome work.
Maybe that's another topic?

But if I have a nice shiny new bumper, what is the concours expectation for the bolt head finish? Polish the stainless head? Have it chromed? Buy AMK?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:15:16 PM »
First image below is what I got, wrong nuts for sure.

Second and and third images are the Concours AMK sets

Worse yet (salt to my wounds), the TOTAL of the two AMK sets is less than what I paid for the junk ones I got (again from NPD).

Perhaps Scott will read this and go toss those into the trash.
I wouldn't run them on a "driver" with rust if I can buy the right ones for less!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 06:09:13 PM »
I've begun thinking about that big pile of stuff I need to get chromed.
And I ran across some of the original bumper bolts.

I'd like to have my chrome guy emulate factory level chrome work.
Maybe that's another topic?

But if I have a nice shiny new bumper, what is the concours expectation for the bolt head finish? Polish the stainless head? Have it chromed? Buy AMK?

Bumper bolts aren't chromed.  The caps are stainless over a zinc plated carriage bolt.  I have sent out bumper bolts and had them zinc plated, then polish the zinc off the top to get back to the stainless.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 07:30:13 PM »
Thanks for your input, Charles.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 11:38:39 PM »
The set I ordered and returned to NPD were supposed to be AMK. When they arrived they were Scott Drake.

-Keith