Author Topic: Best Vendors for Quality (concurs) / Price / Service ?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline gcdunlap

Best Vendors for Quality (concurs) / Price / Service ?
« on: September 03, 2014, 06:33:32 PM »
Hi all:

Just another general question.

I purchased someone else's project, and am in the initial stages of restoring a 1965 Dearborn fastback, and beginning to go through some of the parts that came with the car. Some of them I can reuse, but many are probably past the point of no return... So who are your "go-to" vendors?  Who are the folks to go to for original NOS or parts that can be restored? I have been thinking about purchasing a "parts" car, but it seems a little like sacrilege to take apart a Mustang that I do not plan on putting back together...   

Several of the ones I have looked at on the Internet seem to carry the identical parts, and for the most part seem to be within a few dollars of each other.

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but I would like to know everyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
Gene
5F09C Caspian Blue Fastback
Indianapolis

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Best Vendors for Quality (concours) / Price / Service ?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
When I use reproduction parts I have to research each first on the sites and find out who makes an acceptable part. From there I base may choice on who I buy if from on how quick I need the part, if I can lump together multiple parts that the same seller carries (to reduce shipping costs) and how easy the seller has been on handling problems or issues that might arise.  One bad experience will quickly wipe away any benefit of a slightly cheaper price. 

These three things (everything else being exactly the same) help me make the choice.

NOS parts if used (have to be REAL careful since NOS can many many things and allot of NOS parts are not the best choice always for a restoration) are sourced from any of the trustworthy vendors and individuals that has the specific parts. You don't always have allot of choices on selection when it comes to hard to get parts. More often its making the decision related to if you want to spend the $$$$'s it might take to purchase the part.  A very personal choice

NOS Parts - Seems to be that ads placed on multiple sites in the wanted section will bring sellers with that hard to find parts, to you then after pictures, prices and discussions you get to choose between the offerings or choose to wait for something better/less expensive. Always keeping in mind that you may never get that opportunity again.  I've got items I've been looking for for 25 plus years  ::)

Restoring Parts- If you choose not to restore the parts yourself I would suggest that the forums are the best location to research, ask and read about other peoples experiences. There is nothing IMHO better than independent testimonials on forums from multiple members that you have seen over and over again. Or a vendor that participates in the sharing of information and knowledge on the sites.  With that said its not easy for most of them to spend too much time on forums since they have families to feed and bills to pay ;) Remember that when using these services you are going to pay for their special knowledge, skills and making you task easier

There is a fairly large cottage industry that has sprung up over the years that support the restoration world. Most of these are small shops that provide a well focused set of products and or services to us. They provide a great service to us and almost all realize how important word of mouth is to them and their future. There are at least a dozen or two of these places/people most have been mentioned on our sites pages.

Parts Cars - Depending on what shape the car your going to restore is should help you decide if you need a parts car. If you go that route make sure its from the same assembly plant and the same time period. IMHO a fairly complete rust free parts cars can be the BEST investment you can make but its a path not often chosen by your regular Mustang or Shelby restorer for some reason  when its been a common practice for most of the classic and older collector car restorations. Maybe its the false idea that everything is available in reproduction form for the pony cars and that allot of builders and owners now a days don't want to get their hands dirty or just want a "Easy" button.

Just my observations - trying to keep the response somewhat short  ;D
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)