Author Topic: 65 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen Findings  (Read 9149 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
65 Running Changes Main Thread - Metuchen Findings
« on: July 23, 2020, 05:10:24 PM »
Thought I might as well start a thread to collect the running changes we can identify and track from Metuchen assembly plant during the 1965 production year as we have for other years and plants.

To keep the thread from getting too long or out of hand please don't post that you found this version or that on car 5T07C2345xx (for example). We can save that for the research period and for the individual change threads. Which will be linked to this thread back and the findings posted here on this page also.

If you post suggestions for items to be included we can discuss its suitability then I will delete your posting after it has been incorporated rather than let the add to posts run on for pages ;)  We can then start the supporting discussion and collecting data in a separate supporting thread for each.

Drivetrain-

Engine - Most of these are more related to when the engine was assembled and shipped than to a specific date the change would have taken affect at each assembly plant. Those details can be found in the book Mustang and Ford Small Block V8. But to help we'll list a few more commonly asked and those visible on a fully assembled engine

E1- Water pump and timing cover - Change from aluminum water pump to cast iron version. Change is identified by a L-8 on the aluminum engine ID tag. rather than by VIN. Change appears to have taken place at the engine plant the end of May to first part of June 65 which then made their way to the car plants and into new vehicles.

E2- Road draft tube usage - Change of location of draft tube and transition from the tube to PCV. The later is likely connected to the emission requirements of the delivery DSO but discussions and study will follow. Being an engine plant detail the thread below will be shared in all three Running Change threads
       https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=1927.0

E3- Intake Manifold Gasket - Changes in the design of the whitish paper side gaskets and cork end gaskets.

E4-

E5- 

Engine Compartment-

EC1- Switch from early shock tower decal  (with circles), to later, more common Autolite -

EC2- Heater- 3 wire motor to 2 wire motor and different control switches. -

EC3- Screw in hood bumpers -

EC4- Voltage regulator cover design change. Units built after October 26, 1964

EC5- Starter cable route for K code equipped cars - According to a TSB Article the change too place on Oct. 15, 64

EC6- Convertible stiffening braces - TSB article identifies the addition of an brace starting Nov 11, 1964. The article identifies the steps and parts needed to add the brace to earlier built cars without the brace for service departments following customer complaints. Related to interior change/addition shown below in item #I18

EC7- Starter solenoid versions by main body color and bracket markings.

EC8-

Exterior-

EX1- Exterior beltline. Black bead fuzzy door/qtr strips to non-painted plated? -

EX2- Windshield wiper posts. Screw on bezels to no bezels -

EX3- Convertible top latch mechanism. Pinned attaching shaft to threaded attaching shaft -

EX4- Convertible top side rail  -

EX5- Rear valance screw style  -

EX6- Hood - Forward Corner/lip change -

EX7- Hood - Frame crumple reliefs on leading edge change -

EX8- Door hinges - Squared verses beveled edge

EX9- GT Emblem - Changed from plastic to metal and ceramic -
       http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=12403.0
       Thread includes both 65 & 66 NJ findings since it was started before the years were separated.

EX10-

EX11-

Interior-

I1- Defroster duct hoses- round to square versions -

I2- Carpet - Toe pad -

I3- Carpet - Sill plate vinyl to full width -

I4- Carpet - Fastback rear corner carpets -

I5- Sill plate - Square to rounded corner version -

I6- Fastback trap door bumper changes - Bumper, mounting location and reinforcement was changed on March 1, 1965 according to TSB article dated March 29th

I7- Fastback interior rear trim end caps -

I8- Console glove compartment light location - back panel or light on top -

I9- Console rear floor light. Plastic to metal frame -

I10- Glove box light switch, big early pin to smaller pin -

I11- Air vent knob - Black or with A

I12- Clip on door window cranks to screw on window cranks -

I13- Door panels. Flat (unpadded)  to padded design. -

I15- Coupe headliner color -

I16- Fresh air vent knob - Large white A to no A

I17- Fastback coat hooks - Present or no coat hooks

I18- Convertible underdash stiffening braces - TSB article identifies the addition of an brace starting Nov 11, 1964. The article identifies the steps and parts needed to
        add the brace to earlier built cars without the brace for service departments following customer complaints

I19- Main Dash Wire Loom. Change from early integral windshield wiper wiring to separate.

I20- Brake and Clutch pedal pads - Change from earlier rounded edges to the later with the provision for the addition of the stainless steel trim that came with the deluxe interior trim

I21-

I22-

Trunk-

T1- Spare tie mount/attachment bracket - Carriage bolt/Slotted bracket or J hook/ Loop bracket -

T2- Jack instruction sticker/decal - Maybe

T3- Fastback trunk hinge bushing - With or without nylon/plastic bushing on passenger side hinge arm.

T4- Fastback trunk spring cage - Drivers side with "cage" or no "cage".

T5- Fastback trunk spring end - Passenger end turn inward verses outward.

T-6- Fastback trunk hinge arm - Passenger side spring arm. Single or double thickness.

T8- Fastback trunk hinge spring arm stop - Passenger side.

T9-

T10-

Undercarriage & Suspension-

US1- Upper control arms. Without zerk holes or with plugs

US2- Ball joints with and without slots at end of shaft

US3- Rear emergency brake cable routing. Between frame and floor or between frame and rear spring. In process.

US5- Rear backing plate knock-outs for brake adjusting hole - Started during the last few months of 65 production. Ford TSB #327 states the change took place during July 65 car production.
       http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15041.msg93741#msg93741

US6- Dual exhaust - Change in design and parts used between 65, Arvinode and what was referred to as 65 1/2 style.

US7-

US8-

US9-

Last Updated 11/9/2023
« Last Edit: November 09, 2023, 09:16:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)