Author Topic: 289 Paint process  (Read 265 times)

Offline Frank Bullitt

289 Paint process
« on: February 12, 2024, 01:24:26 PM »
Hi all, I am restoring a 66 Metuchen built K code and want to get things right! Sorry if this has been covered before.

Were the engine blocks assembled with water pump, sump, intake manifold etc and then painted blue meaning all the bolts would be painted and any gaskets showing too? I recall someone saying the only bolt un painted was the one holding the engine data tag.

Were core plugs in and should be painted too, or were they put in afterwards?

I appreciate any help.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 289 Paint process
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 01:35:23 PM »
Hi all, I am restoring a 66 Metuchen built K code and want to get things right! Sorry if this has been covered before.

Were the engine blocks assembled with water pump, sump, intake manifold etc and then painted blue meaning all the bolts would be painted and any gaskets showing too? I recall someone saying the only bolt un painted was the one holding the engine data tag.

Were core plugs in and should be painted too, or were they put in afterwards?

I appreciate any help.
Yes all the things you mentioned were painted on the engine .Engine data tag was added later and unpainted zinc Bolt . Block drain plugs were typically added after painting.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 02:51:22 PM »
Respectfully not sure if I agree with the drain plugs being installed after paint. Will need to check pictures and the engine plant instructions for painting and assembling engines Checked the thread showing close ups of an early V8 and at least those were added after engine paint. Thread might help the OP also. Do a search for "Early Small Block Product Test Pictures " and it should show up in the members only section under Sub-Assembly Plants

As far as the question - yes asked a fair number of times in thepast as one would expect. 

Here is just one

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11242.msg172296#msg172296

Also don't forget the exhaust manifolds in the process or the engine plate - painted correctly  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Frank Bullitt

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 04:04:28 PM »
Thanks for the help it is appreciated.