Restoring - General discussions that span across many different groups of years and models > Parts

Antenna Rattle

<< < (15/15)

Bossbill:
Goodmark has one listed and from the pictures it appears to collapse completely.

Anyone have access to one of these?

5F08KGT:
 Update; 10/13/18; I emailed Carpenter about the antenna. I received a reply that "We make the antenna and is should be rattle free"
 I asked if he could personally open the box and inspect the antenna for me to make sure it didn't rattle before I order one and pay the $90 for it.
 Waiting for reply now...…
 I'm not going to spend MY $ BEFORE I get confirmation.....

5F08KGT:

--- Quote from: 5F08KGT on October 13, 2018, 10:42:17 AM --- Update; 10/13/18; I emailed Carpenter about the antenna. I received a reply that "We make the antenna and is should be rattle free"
 I asked if he could personally open the box and inspect the antenna for me to make sure it didn't rattle before I order one and pay the $90 for it.
 Waiting for reply now...…
 I'm not going to spend MY $ BEFORE I get confirmation.....

--- End quote ---

10/25/18; Still no reply/conformation from them on my question...…..

Bossbill:
I experimented with this before I bit the bullet and bought a NOS version that collapses all the way (ball touches next lower mast section).

I do believe there is grease inside of the original mast. I checked around for something I could get into the mast without drilling. I then checked the melting temperature of Vaseline and found it melts at just about 100 deg F.

There is a very small amount of room where each section joins the next. I created some cone shaped dams around the top of each section. The cones must be able to withstand around 120* F.
I heated the antenna with an infrared heater that was arranged vertically and used an infrared thermometer to check its temperature.
I then melted some Vaseline. I did find that if you don't watch Vaseline carefully it will ignite with flames over a foot tall.

WARNING!
VASELINE IS VERY FLAMMABLE!
HEAT THE VASELINE OUTSIDE!
Do not allow it to get much over 100 deg.
DO NOT GET IT NEAR OR ON YOUR HEATER!
You have been warned.

Pour the hot Vaseline into the cones and allow it to seep into the mast sections

I do understand some of you live where 100+ is a summer temperature. However, the Vaseline does not appear to leak out of a mast in the down position.

This was a dangerous task. Do it outside. Have an extinguisher handy. Wear cotton clothes and don't get this stuff on you.

But it did reduce the rattle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version