Author Topic: Oct 64 A Code SJ Engine paint/build sequence  (Read 3796 times)

Offline DKutz

Oct 64 A Code SJ Engine paint/build sequence
« on: May 27, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
So did the engine of the 64 OCT SJ all get black paint at the same time.  What was assembled on the motor at the time of paint?  I know the thermo housing and bypass, what about the harmonic balancer?  What else was onthe car and would have been shot at the same time??
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 02:24:14 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Gone but not forgotten - 1996 Mustang GT

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Oct 65 SJ Engine paint/build sequence
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »
Block, heads, intake, carb spacer, exhaust manifolds, timing cover, oil pan and plug, water pump, by-pass hose and clamps, t-stat housing, dip stick, rear engine plate.  Certain items were installed and covered for paint, such as temp-sender, oil sender.

Spark plugs were not installed, those were just a set I use for spraying engines.  The holes were probably plugged with something when the engine was painted though.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 06:50:14 PM »
The heater outlet was not installed, and there was a "sleeve" over the tip of the water outlet (leave a little bit of "raw" aluminum showing after the upper radiator hose is installed just for the effect). Some of the water pump bolts were removed and reused for the alternator, power steering and Air Conditioning add-ons.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 09:26:39 PM »
On original low mileage cars, we have observed paint at the base of the heater elbow on the intake.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 01:12:42 AM »
Carb spacer?
1965 Mustang Fastback 'A' Code, silver Blue Met, Med blue int. Auto, San Jose, 10/8/64 #1449**

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »
Carb spacer?

Yes, normally installed with bottom gasket in place and studs also attached to the intake.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
Just curious, in Oct 65, was Ford painting some engines black and some blue?
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 01:38:37 PM »
As of mid August, 1965, all Fords were made and sold with a blue engine. No exceptions are known (Shelby's were carry over, 65 black). You can determine the engines actual assembly date on a "boss" on the engine near the distributor, format "year", "month", "day" and "inspector" - 5H21Z = 1965, August, 21, inspector "Z" (Zorro?).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
Thanks Jim.

OP asking about Oct 65 SJ engine getting all black paint prompted the question. 
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 05:14:18 PM »

Good catch, thought they were asking about '65 model year since they mentioned black.  Probably meant Oct '64.

Offline DKutz

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
yes oct 64  sorry...

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Oct 64 SJ Engine paint/build sequence
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
yes oct 64  sorry...

Thanks, updated the thread title too...

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
289 Engine Painting Questions
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 11:17:45 PM »
I?ve searched and can?t find all the answers regarding what all was painted black as an assembled engine, so I thought I?d post a new thread to get confirmation or correction.  My questions are for my 6/64 D code, but would think it would be typical for 64/65 cars.

1.  Heater hose neck at front of intake. Photos of unrestored 64/65 cars seem to show that it is unpainted, but I?ve seen a number off ?66 cars with remnants of blue paint.

2.  Hex plug in vacuum fitting behind carburetor. I would think this or a vacuum tree would have been installed on the assembly line once it was determined if the car was an automatic and/or had power brakes.

3.  Hex plugs on block skirts for coolant draining. Assuming these were in place when the engine was painted.

4.  Thermostat housing and water pump inlet. My understanding is that the end of each of these was masked where the radiator hoses slide on.

5. Carburetor spacer and lower gasket were in place when the engine was painted, so some or all would have been hit with the paint spray.

6.  Road draft tube. The paint on my road draft tube was fairly well preserved and looks like it had a nice uniform thin layer of semigloss black paint like you would see on any number of NOS replacement parts. A little too good to have been painted with the engine, so I?m thinking the attaching bolts and gaskets would not be painted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 11:30:28 PM by Countrysquire »
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 289 Engine Painting Questions
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 12:45:12 AM »
1.  Heater hose neck at front of intake. Photos of unrestored 64/65 cars seem to show that it is unpainted, but I?ve seen a number off ?66 cars with remnants of blue paint.

64.5-65 were usually unpainted, zinc w/dichromate (gold)  They were installed and covered when the engine was painted. 

2.  Hex plug in vacuum fitting behind carburetor. I would think this or a vacuum tree would have been installed on the assembly line once it was determined if the car was an automatic and/or had power brakes.

Engine color 

3.  Hex plugs on block skirts for coolant draining. Assuming these were in place when the engine was painted.

Unpainted, installed after engine painted with shellac sealer (I use the indian head stuff) 

4.  Thermostat housing and water pump inlet. My understanding is that the end of each of these was masked where the radiator hoses slide on.

Yes, just tape up the ends.

5. Carburetor spacer and lower gasket were in place when the engine was painted, so some or all would have been hit with the paint spray.

Carb spacer and spacer to intake gasket in place before paint.  Sometimes see fading to the top, but seen lots that had a complete covering too.

6.  Road draft tube. The paint on my road draft tube was fairly well preserved and looks like it had a nice uniform thin layer of semigloss black paint like you would see on any number of NOS replacement parts. A little too good to have been painted with the engine, so I?m thinking the attaching bolts and gaskets would not be painted.

Road draft tube installed later at the assembly plant.

Offline Countrysquire

• Houston Vapor Blasting
Re: 289 Engine Painting Questions
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 12:55:24 AM »
Thanks Charles. I was hoping I would do better than 4 out of 6 correct, but that?s why I asked. What kind of sealant was used on the heater hose fitting?
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com/

64.5 Dearborn Coupe
5F07D173***
65A M 86 20F 62 1 5