Author Topic: Rear brake cables  (Read 9382 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: E Brake Cables
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 08:35:31 PM »
However, I found another color on the other end. And it's blue!
Shown here are both of my cables -- left cable dangling and the right shown in normal and closeup view.
Can anyone verify they also have this color?

Yes have found that many times on 67 E brake cable outer jackets at the rear (floor attachment) location. Think it's been mentioned in other threads

Is shown in Late- March 67 GT500 - Unrestored Picture Thread ,  Reply #9  Picture U-8

Other years can be other colors  as shown in other threads and sections. In this case the color identifier is shared with 65 & 66's
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:04:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear brake cables
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »
I typically have found the crimped end on a 67 SJ cable a green and not blue.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
May be the lighting and or camera settings. All of the ones I have pictures ( at least two dozen cars) they have always appears ( and in person) a teal greenish blue.

Just what I've found. On my computer screen the picture mentioned in my last post appears a good representation IMHO of the tone, tine and color
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2020, 06:58:46 PM »
While cleaning up this 67 SJ dirty cable I found an interesting color on the spring (inside the drum).
For lack of a better name, how about light dusty rose?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2020, 04:46:10 PM »
I ordered the black tubing that you suggested so I will update when I get these cables restored!  Thanks for directing me to this thread! 
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 10:27:35 PM »
These things take a while to clean up. It's like try to scrub a dolphin as it flops around.

Anyway, three different colors on this thing to match what I found on it (except for the yellow, which is most likely the right color).

If I remember right the spring color is Krylon 5521.
Plus, my patent pending (not) black tubing.
Do note that instead of pulling it over the smaller end I did the dishwashing liquid trick, used a small screwdriver to get it over the flange and then pushed it into place.
A rag in the vice to protect and hold it and a rag on my gloved hand to push down the cable. Yes, this takes a lot of lube.
Bill

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 04:53:28 AM »
These things take a while to clean up. It's like try to scrub a dolphin as it flops around.

Anyway, three different colors on this thing to match what I found on it (except for the yellow, which is most likely the right color).

Do note that instead of pulling it over the smaller end I did the dishwashing liquid trick, used a small screwdriver to get it over the flange and then pushed it into place.
A rag in the vice to protect and hold it and a rag on my gloved hand to push down the cable. Yes, this takes a lot of lube.

Interesting that your cables have these paint details.
It has been a couple years since I did mine but I don't remember any paint used in restoring mine. (also San Jose, built earlier in Nov. 66).
I wonder if this is a Supplier Detail for the earlier time frame.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 07:56:05 AM »
While cleaning up this 67 SJ dirty cable I found an interesting color on the spring (inside the drum).
For lack of a better name, how about light dusty rose?

Mine had the same.  No picture handy.

However, I found another color on the other end. And it's blue!
Shown here are both of my cables -- left cable dangling and the right shown in normal and closeup view.
Can anyone verify they also have this color?

Mine had the same here as well.  Found a pic.  Also note FoMoCo stamp.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2020, 09:45:37 AM »
I used 1 Shot sign painter's enamel in Salmon Pink for my spring detail.

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 02:43:58 AM »

Typically I see the ends on the 67 cables a dark green . Maybe a MFG thing. Regardless of color the fitting was completely what ever color when it started out in the assembly phase before going through the crimping process. The squeezing crimping process caused scuffs and chips to the paint or dye. If you restore one with perfect paint then it is over restored IMO because it doesn't represent the part as it typically was in the real world. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2020, 06:01:32 AM »
Interesting that your cables have these paint details.
It has been a couple years since I did mine but I don't remember any paint used in restoring mine. (also San Jose, built earlier in Nov. 66).
I wonder if this is a Supplier Detail for the earlier time frame.
I reiterate...or perhaps ask this as a question.
Are there other examples WITHOUT these details. I don't recall anybody discussing this before and did not pick up on any paint while doing mine a while back.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »
Are there other examples WITHOUT these details. I don't recall anybody discussing this before and did not pick up on any paint while doing mine a while back.

All that I have acquired have some remains of paint.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
All that I have acquired have some remains of paint.

Great, what I thought was done, ready and boxed (with fully assembled backing plates) has to be dismantled and done over. Good to know now, the diff. would be fully assembled likely in about a month from now.
Richard Urch

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »
I ran out of media. Can't finish the second cable.
Had to order it online, which costs more.
Lots more. Great.
Now I have to remove the T9 from the end.
T9 does not like to come off.
I feel your pain!
Bill

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2020, 02:47:42 PM »
It is my belief that most likely the paint would flake off the fitting given time and elements. Overwhelming examples I have seen and even NOS examples I have seen and had a thin application of marking paint/dye most likely meant to identify during assembly with no thought or reason to be concerned of it lasting on the car exposed to the environment. Let me be clear this is not just a 67 brake cable thing. Other year brake cables were identified in similar ways .The same is true for the similar conditions they were found in as they survived. Corrosion can help lift a already then surface coating  The thin application makes observations of others without as no surprise to me. I too have seen examples without any indication of paint and think that they were the ones that paint flaked off of. If any were assembled with non painted crimped fittings then it would appear to me that it was more the exception then the rule . Just my perception until more compelling evidence suggest otherwise.