Author Topic: Exhaust tips 1967 GT...original factory or not?  (Read 11157 times)

Offline 67gta289

Re: Exhaust tips 1967 GT...original factory or not?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
Ralf,

The picture that you posted shows the "FORD" script on the tip.  But you did not answer the question about whether your part is a C7 or C9 part.  There are three options I can think of - (1) no part number, (2) C7, (3) C9.  Which is it?

Also please note that unless you have the K code engine, the original equipment would have been single exhaust with a turn down in front of the valence on the passenger side.  No factory dual exhaust for C and A codes, unfortunately.

If you have a C or A code, and you want to stick with dual exhaust (one of the more popular modifications), I would recommend going aftermarket and selling yours to someone who may need what you have for a driver or survivor as Bob mentioned.  Knowing the part number on yours would important for a possible sale also.  The availability and cost of NOS in this case does not make a lot of sense.  If aftermarket parts were $100 and NOS were $200 that would be one thing.  But I think they are quite a bit more than that.

If you have a K code, it would be deserving of the expense of NOS parts.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
Hmmmm....trying to answer as best as I can.
I always thought that a (true) GT (A) A Code has dual exhaust tips factory. Even some GT (A)`s with C Codes. Not only necessarily K-codes.
But may be I'm wrong.

Info from seller, when I asked if the tubes are painted:
"These are 100% original, these is NO paint, the welds separate bare metal connection tube from chrome plated outlets.
Assembly line original pair of 1967, 1968 & 1969 Mustang GT & Mach 1 with 289 4V, 302 4V, 289K, 351W, 390GT, 428CJ & 428SCJ engines. The chrome is near Mint, no pitting or valance rubbing damage, please see pics. The bare metal pipe is complete & not cut, but does have some tiny pits. Overall, this is the nicest survivor pair of rolled tips I have seen in a while. Repro's are nice but are not shaped correctly & polished stainless steel vice chrome plated. This is the last pair I have available"

- no, I'm not going to build my car to a real concours one, also I'm not going to shows (I will drive that car :)) ) Would be also too expensive.
- my car is a GT modified car, with aftermarket double tips in stainless steel, edges not rounded, but shape and contour like factory (don't know supplier, but see picture below). Scott Drakes doesn't look to me factory shape, because the double tips are not "parallel" to each other. However, even the fact that the car is only GT modified, I would to be close as possible, means if could find smth better than mine, I would change them. Of course, I could live also with the tips currently installed.
Mine:

- I honestly can not tell you the number if C7 or C9. Can not read it on the pictures I have. However, there is a number and the FORD logo stamped. But I learned only 69 was FORD stamped, 67 was FOMOCO stamped. Conclusion, should be a 69 tip. The parts are currrently in New Mexico, waiting to be carried to Germany (or not, depending what I will do following your recommendations). Havn't seen them "live". Paid more than $400.
What I could read from pictures so far "Ford" C....C262 E

Scott Drake, rounded, stainless, but wrong shape (tips not parallel):

Original:

Saw several NOS aftermarket tips also without rounded edges, but stainless.

NOS, stainless, correct shape, but not rounded (stamped):

Aftermarket, stainless, but not edged (like mine)

What would be the best retro alternative? Any supplier you could recommend?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:12:05 PM by Bob Gaines »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
I always thought that a (true) GT (A) A Code has dual exhaust tips factory. Even some GT (A)`s with C Codes. Not only necessarily K-codes.
But may be I'm wrong.

Info from seller, when I asked if the tubes are painted:
"These are 100% original, these is NO paint, the welds separate bare metal connection tube from chrome plated outlets.
Assembly line original pair of 1967, 1968 & 1969 Mustang GT & Mach 1 with 289 4V, 302 4V, 289K, 351W, 390GT, 428CJ & 428SCJ engines. The chrome is near Mint, no pitting or valance rubbing damage, please see pics. The bare metal pipe is complete & not cut, but does have some tiny pits. Overall, this is the nicest survivor pair of rolled tips I have seen in a while. Repro's are nice but are not shaped correctly & polished stainless steel vice chrome plated. This is the last pair I have available"

- no, I'm not going to build my car to a real concours one, also I'm not going to shows (I will drive that car :)) ) Would be also too expensive.
- my car is a GT modified car, with aftermarket double tips in stainless steel, edges not rounded, but shape and contour like factory (don't know supplier, but see picture below). Scott Drakes doesn't look to me factory shape, because the double tips are not "parallel" to each other. However, even the fact that the car is only GT modified, I would to be close as possible, means if could find smth better than mine, I would change them. Of course, I could live also with the tips currently installed.
Mine:

- I honestly can not tell you the number if C7 or C9. Can not read it on the pictures I have. However, there is a number and the FORD logo stamped. But I learned only 69 was FORD stamped, 67 was FOMOCO stamped. Conclusion, should be a 69 tip. The parts are currrently in New Mexico, waiting to be carried to Germany (or not, depending what I will do following your recommendations). Havn't seen them "live". Paid more than $400.
What I could read from pictures so far "Ford" C....C262 E

Scott Drake, rounded, stainless, but wrong shape (tips not parallel):

Original:

Saw several NOS aftermarket tips also without rounded edges, but stainless.

NOS, stainless, correct shape, but not rounded (stamped):

Aftermarket, stainless, but not edged (like mine)

What would be the best retro alternative? Any supplier you could recommend?
Aren't the ones in the pictures that are all one same shade of metal tips that the entire tip has been chrome plated rolled tips or not? I will try to write so that the translating program you are using will not have as much trouble getting my meaning across hopefully. Others have given you the information before but to review - They are nice tips for a survivor car where everything else is original used or on a driver car where other things look used. They are genuine tips but chrome which is correct for 69 not stainless which is correct for 67 or 68. The tip portion is chrome or stainless depending on year and the pipe section is smooth bare steel on the 67/68 when new. The welding area to connect the two together is called a welding bead. The welding bead has a blue ish gray appearance when done due to the heat involved in welding. This describes how it should look when new. The tips you picture are far from new. The pipe section on the used tips are very pitted unlike your seller description. If the pipe section is not painted then it has been sand blasted to get rid of the rust leaving the pits because the shade and surface condition of the metal does not appear as new smooth steel besides the different color the welding bead would appear. These described current conditions is NOT what is expected for a show quality tip. You should also be aware that the pitted blasted pipe section will be very prone to rusting if not coated with something . The chrome although nice does not look mint unlike the seller description based on the top section and the tip edges in the picture IMO. They are fine for a driver car which will not be presented as new condition and would match other used parts on a driver condition car. If you are restoring every other aspect of the car then the nice used part tips will stand out as used to the observant disregarding that they should be stainless for 67 instead of chrome (69) . Unless these used tips are very inexpensive I think that you would be much better off buying the more expensive reproduction exhaust tips with the rolled edges IMO. I am not sure if they are sold in stainless or in chrome but ether would look better then the used ones on a restored car. If you are not restoring the car then they should look fine . I just would NOT pay a premium for them because they are not technically correct for a 67 and if you can buy a superior looking condition repro if you buy the rolled tip. The best of luck with what ever you decide is best for you.  Did your friend in the US receive the free NOS GT emblem I sent him on your behalf yet ?
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Ralf

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2016, 04:50:09 AM »
Thank you all for your input and comments.
Finally I decided to return the tips.
Ralf

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2016, 10:45:45 PM »
As promised here are the pictures of the C7 NOS tips.

Online 196667Bob

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 11:41:14 AM »
But may be I'm wrong.

Ralf : Attached is documentation in the form of a page from the 1967 Mustang Brochure and a copy of a page from a 1967 Salesman's Price Book, that supports the comment by 67gta289 that Dual Exhaust and the Exhaust Tips were only available on High Performance (K Code) 289's (and 390's). As a matter of fact, no Dual Exhaust, with or without Tips, was even available as an Option for other 289's.

[quote author=Ralf link=topic=13106.msg80313#msg80313 date=1456422431

[/quote]

Since you have noted that you are not going to build your car to "Concours" due to the expense, I can't imagine why you would think about paying the "BIG BUCK$" for an NOS set of Exhaust Tips (if you could find them - referencing your "Wanted Ad), when either a nice used set of Originals or a nice Repo set would be sufficient for your level of "Restoration" ?  Just seems, in my opinion, to be putting out unnecessary dollars. Of course, as has been said, it's your car.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Ralf

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 11:59:15 AM »
Ok, thx for clarification.

However, currently quad tips are on my car. Stainless steel , not rounded. See picture in one of the previous posts.

Now I'm looking to change them to stainless, rounded.

I know that I have to spend some bucks. Hopefully not too much.

But as it was said, the pipes are in poor shape on my chromed tips, rounded, even factory and only 69. Gonna return them.

When I'm saying I not gonna go to full concours resto means, I will do some things to improve to.

Always thought that a 289 A Code GTA was equiped with quad tips.
Ralf
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:05:13 PM by Ralf »

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
You could at least try contacting Scott Fuller, although I think his specialty is Shelby's, but i suspect he might be able to help. It won't be cheap, possibly no more expensive than some of the options you've considered.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/1967MustangGT289.html

Just a thought.

Bill
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline BKnapp

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2016, 05:03:54 PM »
BTW...you could contact Scott Drake as well. The pictures they offer often do NOT reflect the actual product. Drake does claim it is "exact" reproduction (I know that word is often misused, or flat out lie) but it may be closer to what you are looking for than the picture indicates

Bill
Bill

‘67 390 Coupe A/T  P/S  P/B. (Built 1/4/1967)  7R01S145xxx
‘67 390 FB A/T P/S P/B (Built 3/10/1967) 7F02S173xxx
2007 Shelby GT500 40th Anniv.  Convert. #125

Offline Ralf

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
Have seen a SD repro in GER couple of days ago @Mustang Dealer Shop, totally wrong shape of the double tips (not parallel)
Have contacted SF as well, already this morning german time ;-)
Ralf

Offline Ralf

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
You could at least try contacting Scott Fuller, although I think his specialty is Shelby's, but i suspect he might be able to help. It won't be cheap, possibly no more expensive than some of the options you've considered.

http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/1967MustangGT289.html

Just a thought.

Bill

Have been talking to Scott.
What he is doing? Using Scott Drakes, cut the pipe of and to weld the stamped stainless pipe on = reproduction

So, I'm still looking forward if smb would like to sell his original 67 GT(A) twin tips stainless.
Ralf

Offline specialed

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 11:39:54 PM »
I got some 67 tips here somewhere but have to find them as wife has moved all my parts around when I am gone on trips so let me ask her where see put them

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
I got some 67 tips here somewhere but have to find them as wife has moved all my parts around when I am gone on trips so let me ask her where see put them
Don't you just hate it when you wife messes around with your Mustang parts! I guess I would just have to go to her sewing room and unravel some thread. LOL
Ed I have to ask were they on the kitchen table?

Offline Ralf

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2016, 02:14:44 AM »

Great if you could find them. Excellent if you gonna sell them....to me.
Pls pm.
Many thanks
Ralf

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Don't you just hate it when you wife messes around with your Mustang parts! I guess I would just have to go to her sewing room and unravel some thread. LOL
Ed I have to ask were they on the kitchen table?

That is where I get into trouble! Not exactly the kitchen table but along those lines. I often build a small collection up (all clean stuff, not wet, greasy, dirty, nasty stuff) and the grandkids or company of sorts come by and either she panics or I panic, that somebody will move them into "hiding" and who the hell knows where they went! Presently, I am missing all three of my 67's grille supports/gravel shield brackets. I always fear they (missing items) have been thrown out by mistake... yet somehow, missing things like this show up "mysteriously" at a later date. I'm not sure yet who keeps hiding them! (or if people are playing games with me ;) )
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments