Author Topic: Lets decode some markings - 07/64 dearborn idler arm  (Read 665 times)

Offline JeffD

Lets decode some markings - 07/64 dearborn idler arm
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:03:46 PM »
July 64 - 289 -D code with power steering.

Looks like 3 colors on the bracket - Green (stripe between the bolts)- Red (side and around the green stripe) and white (near the bottom and below the lower bolt) to me

And then red on the idler arm - like they wanted to make this thing all purty

Many of the paint marks ive seen replicated are more like smaller daubs - but the red seems more like spilled paint..

thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:10:08 PM by JeffD »
Jeff Deaton
64 1/2 D-Code - in progress way too long....
Body   65A   Color M   Interior 56   
Date 15G   DSO 24   Axle 1   Trans 6

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Lets decode some markings - 07/64 dearborn idler arm
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 12:16:39 AM »
The green on the mounting section of the bracket has been seen on a ton of original examples I've seen. Depending on year and time it can be a single or double stripe

Have never seen (appears to be redo oxide color in your picture) on any of the ones I've seen - so IMHO would not consider it typical> since the color is so large you might be on to something with the idea that it was a spill rather than a mark. I do have examples of the idler with a mark that color on the arm portion.

As for the arm marks those related to application and time period but have never seen that large of a mark on the arm. This couldn't be someone with a rattle can early in the cars life could it. Have plenty of examples of an owner or kid with red, blue or orange just going crazy under some otherwise original or slightly modified cars.

Just grasping for answers ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JeffD

Re: Lets decode some markings - 07/64 dearborn idler arm
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:20:47 AM »
thanks jeff - thats the screwy thing. if nothing else i would document total findings and only do what i have seen on others. i think these are the types of questions i will have in the next few weeks.
Jeff Deaton
64 1/2 D-Code - in progress way too long....
Body   65A   Color M   Interior 56   
Date 15G   DSO 24   Axle 1   Trans 6