Author Topic: Center console rear light  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Josep

Center console rear light
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Hi all,

Today I have received my rear console light. I got the wires BLK/BLU and BLK already connected.
But these wires are connected to a BLK/RED and BLK wires going to the small console compartment, so no voltage at all in the line.! Question is, am I missing an intermediate harness joining these two lines, rear light and small compartment..? BTW, I've blewn the fuse while touching underdash  ::)
7.5A 32V is correct.?

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Center console rear light
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:11:45 PM »
As a side question did the console get added to your car at some time int he past. Would expect that a car built (very late 66) when yours was to have the top light that goes on automatically when the door is open rather than the one at the back side of the compartment like you show. (added to the original post) in the lamp holder shown in your third picture

On a 65 console (not convinced that the change over was at the model year - other changes were not) the interior compartment light works off of the interior lights if I recall correctly = been a while. Is the rear (on the console) lamp working?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:58:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Josep

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
I think it might be added in the past by some owner or from dealer. It has the 2 courtesy lights, one at each side underdash.
Today I discovered that small lamp inside the compartment, and the rear light was not in the console, so I ordered a repro from Virginia Classic Mustang. Since the wires are not attached to any feed point with voltage, it doesn't works now. If the small lamp in compartment runs separately of the interior courtesy lights, from were it must be switched on.? I see no knobs/switches around..

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:08:03 PM »
Hi all,

Today I have received my rear console light. I got the wires BLK/BLU and BLK already connected.
But these wires are connected to a BLK/RED and BLK wires going to the small console compartment, so no voltage at all in the line.! Question is, am I missing an intermediate harness joining these two lines, rear light and small compartment..? BTW, I've blewn the fuse while touching underdash  ::)
7.5A 32V is correct.?

Josep
Black/blue wires are courtesy underdash lamps.  The black/red may be blue/red, in which case that is for dash lamp power.  Black/red is almost always for backup lights.  I do believe your wiring is incorrect.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »
Josep,
The feed for the console comes from under the dash in the center very near the top. There are two wires, a green with a yellow tracer and a black with a blue tracer. Both are female push in connectors. The console has an intermediate harness of these two wires that is routed under the carpet and emerges at the hole in the carpet near the shifter. At the shifter, the two are joined by a short black lead that has a ring lug terminal that attaches to the body a few inches in front of the shifter. It shares the same grounding screw as the indicator light used in automatic transmission. The three console leads are connected to that harness there. All three wires from the console should have male push in connectors, the three from the shifter should be female push in connectors. At that point, it's black to black, green-yellow to green-yellow and black-blue to black-blue. The black-blue circuit is activated by the door switch or the courtesy switch function of the headlamp switch and that provides power to the console rear lights, the green-yellow is hot all the time and is used only for the console door lamp when the console door is opened.
Jim
You need to get a set of assembly manuals. 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:06 PM »
   Josep if you notice in the third picture (should have blown that one up earlier) you posted your console is from a 66 and correct for a late 66 San Jose car but it would have come equipped with a lamp holder in that top holder and not the little one you are trying to add to the rear. Bought and sold over 150 of these early in my Mustang hobby life.  Lamp holder (metal part) is very similar to the metal holders for the underdash courtesy lights

When the door is open it makes contact with the ground (through the door, down through the hinge springs, mounting screws and the metal front bracket/mount completely the circuit 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:06:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:49 PM »
I thought I'd taken a few shots of the console harness in place when  began disassembly of my coupe. Unfortunately I didn't.  :(

What I DID get a shot of though was the ground point that Jim referenced. I've attached it below in case it's of any use.

'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline Josep

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »
   Josep if you notice in the third picture (should have blown that one up earlier) you posted your console is from a 66 and correct for a late 66 San Jose car but it would have come equipped with a lamp holder in that top holder and not the little one you are trying to add to the rear. Bought and sold over 150 of these early in my Mustang hobby life.  Lamp holder (metal part) is very similar to the metal holders for the underdash courtesy lights

When the door is open it makes contact with the ground (through the door, down through the hinge springs, mounting screws and the metal front bracket/mount completely the circuit

So Jeff, you mean that little lamp hasn't to be there.? So the back of the compartment must be wrong. Hole for the little lamp looks to be made mechanically. And where can I find this missing lamp holder.?
Thanks

Josep

Offline Josep

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 02:12:28 AM »
I thought I'd taken a few shots of the console harness in place when  began disassembly of my coupe. Unfortunately I didn't.  :(
What I DID get a shot of though was the ground point that Jim referenced. I've attached it below in case it's of any use.

Thanks for pic JKWilson, I wil try to check the under console wiring as soon as I have some time.

Josep

Offline Josep

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 02:15:43 AM »
Black/blue wires are courtesy underdash lamps.  The black/red may be blue/red, in which case that is for dash lamp power.  Black/red is almost always for backup lights.  I do believe your wiring is incorrect.

Midlife, probably yes.! I think I'm maybe missing some parts on the general harness.. Or just not properly connected. Sometimes simply not found.

Josep

Offline Josep

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:39:25 AM »
Lamp holder (metal part) is very similar to the metal holders for the underdash courtesy lights. When the door is open it makes contact with the ground (through the door, down through the hinge springs, mounting screws and the metal front bracket/mount completely the circuit

Think this is what you mean Jeff.