Author Topic: Posting Pictures  (Read 4932 times)

Offline BillEBobb

Posting Pictures
« on: June 22, 2010, 12:01:58 AM »
How does one go about posting pictures on this forum?

Offline Sluggo

• Dark Overlord
Re: Posting Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:58:30 AM »
How does one go about posting pictures on this forum?

When you make a post, below the text box (where you type your post) you will see an arrow with additional options next to it. Click the down arrow and then click choose file, a dialog box will open on you computer and you can pick the file you want to attach. You can attach up to 6 files (I think) The maximum size is set to 1024x768.

We will be adding a gallery as soon as I can split this site off of the the server the sister site lives on.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 01:17:13 AM by Sluggo »
MCA 55330 | 69 Mach1 | 427 Stroker | 29 Model A Murray Town Car | 4 Banger

Offline BBs70fastback

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »
I have added pictures as attachments without problems.  However, how are pictures included in a post within the middle of a discussion? 

Also, what programs are being used to add captions or arrows/highlighting to the pictures for explanation?

Finally, why are the pictures in some older posts available to view and others come up blank?  Is there a problem on my end or are some pictures deleted after a certain period of time?   ???

Thanks for putting up with the newbie questions.

Barry
First Restoration - going for original driver
1970 Sportsroof 302 2V, Dearborn, built June 17, 1970, power steering, Auto, A/C, Y code Chestnut Metallic, standard black interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:31 AM »
If you reply to a post, there is a '+ Attachments and other options' link at the bottom where you can attach images.

There are programs like Microsoft Paint that comes with Windows that have rudimentary image editing capabilities.  There are also others that are much more sophisticated and come with a price tag.

Some of the old images in posts ended up missing after a forum software upgrade.  Sorry for any inconveniences related to that.  If you see any of these that were your own, you should be able to edit the post and fix the pictures. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dudley

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
I just noticed that after posting a reply with attached pictures, I could see the attached pictures when I login under my name. However I re-entered the forum site without logging in , as an unregistered guest, and found that the pictures were not visible. Is there someting that I did wrong while posting, or am I not used to entering the site as a guest? thank you.
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
I checked the administration settings and it looks like Guests cannot view attachments.  If you link a picture from another site, like a picture hosting site, they can view it.

Has to be some benefits to being a registered member!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Dudley

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »
Yes, Charles, you are correct. I opened two sessions on my screen, one as a guest and one as a registered member. I looked at a side-by-side comparison of a few threads and noticed the differences with items missing or hidden from the guest session. Makes me wonder how guests make sence of some topics if they can not view the accompanying pictures illustrating the written text and explanations. Thank you for your reply. Dudley
sold my sig pix Mustang to Marcus Anghel in Sept 2017 -- 1968 Mustang coupe 11,900 mile unrestored-June 19,1968 SJ build. ON COVER OF MCA MUSTANG TIMES APRIL 2018 with feature article. My personal Pix available at :  http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/137299/ppuser

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 04:54:05 PM »
Regarding attachments ...

This forum does not show attachments while doing a preview. To make sure the attachment is visible and uploaded correctly I've taken to posting the thread with some of my text and then doing an update to add more text after I'm assured the picture made it intact.

Any way around this? I'm using Firefox, if that matters.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 05:21:42 PM »
I have added pictures as attachments without problems.  However, how are pictures included in a post within the middle of a discussion? 

You just cut and past  the BB Code or BB Thumbnail Image Code for the picture you wish to post and drop it in the post were you want it to appear.

Remember not to post copywritten pictures or documents when posting. Get permission in email or printed form (we will ask if there is a question).  We do this because we want others to respect what we have posted here, members work and what members have paid for. It's all in the rules :)

Also, what programs are being used to add captions or arrows/highlighting to the pictures for explanation?

I use Photoshop. I have a standard size picture and resolution for each of my pictures I post. Bring up the picture, cut and past it into the standard frame. Crop and resize. Adjust the brightness and contrast if need be and insert an arrow if needed. Upload it into one of my separate sections I have established in my gallery here on the site then insert the link

Finally, why are the pictures in some older posts available to view and others come up blank?  Is there a problem on my end or are some pictures deleted after a certain period of time?   ???

For older pictures that show up with the Photbucket logo those are a result of an issue (when from free to a pay for posting service recently) and are dead. If they are my posts and I become aware of them I've been slowly repairing them with links attached to this site rather than other services. At some point this may cost us more $$'s to store all of them but they will always be there unless the whole site goes. For other posters often they end or abandon a service or where they were storing their pictures off site is no longer operating so those are dead likely forever.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Regarding attachments ...

This forum does not show attachments while doing a preview. To make sure the attachment is visible and uploaded correctly I've taken to posting the thread with some of my text and then doing an update to add more text after I'm assured the picture made it intact.

The kind of attachments seem to be the limiting factor. Sometimes this is out of concern for security - don't want anyone catching a bug by loading something other than a picture or a link in many cases.

Been doing this for a long long time - what kind of attachment are you trying to post?  Often there are other ways to do the same thing
Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »

Windows 7 allows a preview when I select and before I attach. It's your software that isn't doing a preview, not the forum.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:33:10 PM »
What I was getting at is, just like sigs, the attachment is not visible in the preview screen. Sure, it's there when you scroll down one screen next to the "Post Preview Spell Check" buttons, but evidently this forum software doesn't preview the thumbnail pic along with the text. I don't care for that. It's not WYSIWYG.

I understand how to post and link to my Flicker pics.

I can also post and link to pics directly from my cellphone as it synchs all pics to the Google cloud and through some manipulation (which ain't very straightforward) I can link to the cloud pics. Some users have issues viewing those. Not sure why.

Both of the above are perilous in case Flicker decides to charge me (You guys know all about this) or if I accidentally delete some pics from my cell and the cloud synchs to that deletion.

So the best way is to keep pics here -- on your server. It uses up server space but allows the pics to be maintained with the text. This way pictures are not subject to accidental deletion by the users or by ransom from their picture hosts.

I think what I'll do in the future -- as this allows me to put pictures anywhere within their text -- is to place pictures in "My Gallery" and then use an "img" tag to display them in a thread. A bit more work but solves all of the above issues.

=====================================
I created a Category in My Gallery.
I uploaded a pic to this category and gave it a title
I viewed the pic and rt clicked to get the image location
Between the image tags I put in the copied url
And here is is the pic:

And I can put text around it.

You can also do the bbcode thing where you use the thumbnail in your text (it's in the Gallery too) and then link that thumbnail to the bigger pic.
Here is the thumbnail:

I'll try a hot link after dinner.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:50:20 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline Bossbill

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:11 AM »
After you upload a new gallery image you can use bbc code to create a user selectable sized thumbnail of the original image that when clicked will display the original image in its original size.
In other words, you will use the original image resized with code to create a thumbnail. When you click on this thumbnail the original size image will be displayed.

Here is the code. Right click on your image in the gallery and select the 'copy image location'. Past the copied location's url, replacing that shown in this example:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/gallery/9/4249-051217204049.jpeg]
     [img width=100]
           http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/gallery/9/4249-051217204049.jpeg
     [/img]
[/url]

The above code results in the following:

Using the 'width=x' you can determine the size of the thumbnail by changing x. It will rescale the image proportionality.

Here is a much smaller Thumbnail using the width of 50:

Note that the code indents are for readability. You must remove all of the spaces to use this format:
Code: [Select]
[url=http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/gallery/9/4249-051217204049.jpeg][img width=100]http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/gallery/9/4249-051217204049.jpeg [/img]
[/url]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:07:22 AM by Bossbill »
Bill

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 12:08:15 AM »
What I was getting at is, just like sigs, the attachment is not visible in the preview screen. Sure, it's there when you scroll down one screen next to the "Post Preview Spell Check" buttons, but evidently this forum software doesn't preview the thumbnail pic along with the text. I don't care for that. It's not WYSIWYG.

The method I described above for me using pictures stored and linked to my gallery here are visible in my preview if you just press Preview then I get the preview and the editor box below it. I often have to use that so that I can kind of align (never works perfect) columns and lists I post.

Like allot of things in the computer world you learn to work with the system or the system works you.
Jeff Speegle

Offline 1967FEGT

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
I have been trying to post pictures for a process I came up with. I keep getting the generic server error.