Author Topic: Help with definitive Shaker ID  (Read 5923 times)

Offline troyword

Help with definitive Shaker ID
« on: September 07, 2016, 11:34:37 AM »
Hi,
 This is my first post. But I have been an owner of a 69 mustang for about 18 years. I am refreshing an older restoration on my 69 Mach 1 428 r-code car C-6 with factory air. In the process of adding a heat shield and s-tube I discovered that I have the incorrect shaker for my car. It looks to me based on internet research that it is a 1970 351w shaker. I have attached some photos. Since I am going to need to sell this and find the correct version. I want to make sure I am accurately describing what I have. Thanks in advance! Troy

Offline Vcode

Re: Help with definitive Shaker ID
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »

Offline troyword

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
Great! Thanks for the links Vcode. Looks like there is a Scott Drake Concours Repro base available and Semo makes the correct snorkel. So off to Ebay with my 351w vintage Base and Snorkel. Thanks! Troy

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:33 PM »
Make sure you get the proper 428 1st or 2nd iteration base for your car depending on its build date
I have the second one with the valve in the base that the orange rubber hose plugs into
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 07:38:25 PM »
I have the first 9ZE.  Brian
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 07:44:00 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
1970 351W shaker base should have a plastic elbow in the front for the oil filler breather hose, 69 has the metal elbow.   

Offline troyword

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 05:19:49 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's!

Brian Conway- Thanks for the pictures! My build date is May 69 so I guess i need the C9ZZ-9600-F.

Wills70- Yep, plastic elbow on mine.

Anybody have any idea what I should ask for this base and snorkel on eBay? I am assuming my Scoop and mid plate should work on the C9ZZ-9600-F. Thanks!

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:51 PM »
As far as asking a price, I'd start a minimum $1500.  It is rarer than a CJ one.  Good luck!
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline 7Lscjracer

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 10:29:53 PM »
My build date is May 69 so I guess i need the C9ZZ-9600-F.

You need the second iteration of 1969 428 shaker bowls like I have.
I'm looking for the first type bowl for my car.
Damn, I'd sell you mine, but I'd have to obtain the first type beforehand so I could do it at the same price whatever that turned out to be.
I think the 428 midplate doesn't have the 2V/4V holes either, but I haven't looked into shakers for a few years so I just don't remember.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline Vcode

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 08:49:10 AM »
Thanks for all the reply's!

Brian Conway- Thanks for the pictures! My build date is May 69 so I guess i need the C9ZZ-9600-F.

Wills70- Yep, plastic elbow on mine.

Anybody have any idea what I should ask for this base and snorkel on eBay? I am assuming my Scoop and mid plate should work on the C9ZZ-9600-F. Thanks!

Troy,

My car is a May 69 with the later version shaker.
If you need any pictures or more info let me know.

Dale.

Offline troyword

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for all the reply! What a great forum this is!

7Lscjracer- I was going to go with the Scott Drake  C9ZZ-9600-F Concours Repro just to get the car complete until I found a vintage one. But it looks like to me their design is in fact a C9ZZ-9600-E as it doesn't have the
thermal vent. I'm going to contact Scoot Drake to confirm. Might just grab one anyway and resell once I find an original  C9ZZ-9600-F.

Vcode- Hi Dale! My main question would be where and how does the thermal vent tube connect?

Offline Vcode

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 04:28:34 PM »
Hi,
Thanks for all the reply! What a great forum this is!

7Lscjracer- I was going to go with the Scott Drake  C9ZZ-9600-F Concours Repro just to get the car complete until I found a vintage one. But it looks like to me their design is in fact a C9ZZ-9600-E as it doesn't have the
thermal vent. I'm going to contact Scoot Drake to confirm. Might just grab one anyway and resell once I find an original  C9ZZ-9600-F.

Vcode- Hi Dale! My main question would be where and how does the thermal vent tube connect?

It connects to the hot air tube that goes from the carb to the exhaust manifold.
The later version tube has a nipple on it where you connect the hose.

Here's a picture I found on Jack's site.
http://www.deadnutson.com/albums/album_image/4236615/2985820.htm

Dale.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:38:33 PM by Vcode »

Offline troyword

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
So my quest for a correct shaker continues! I ordered the Scott Drake C9ZZ-9600-F(which is actually a 9600-E) and the Semo Snorkel. I knew that when my car was restored about 17 years ago the original heads and intake manifold were replaced by Aluminum Edlebrock versions since the original heads needed a substantial amount of machine work to restore plus the huge weight savings bonus. So it has become apparent why they used the 70 351W Shaker, as the correct version doesn't line up with the hood opening. The intake manifold carb position is further back towards the firewall. My question to you amazing experts here is can I restore and replace my original Intake manifold on this engine without replacing the heads as well? It will need to be bead blasted or chemically cleaned and repainted. But it is in otherwise pretty good shape. It is correct date code-wise based on my research. But I would rather not completely tear apart this engine if it is not necessary. I have attached a photo of the intake. Thanks in advance! Troy

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 01:30:03 PM »
Troy it seems your interest is more in making the shaker work rather than restoring to OE condition ?  I had a similar situation with my motor's intake, OFFY, and the shaker set up.  On my car drilling new holes in the mid plate for the air cleaner base mounting studs was what the previous owner did.  Moved the mid plate forward about 3/8" just enough to get the scoop into the hood opening.  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline troyword

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 01:46:41 PM »
Hi Brian,
 Thanks for the reply! Have had the car for about 18 years and it always bugged me that the Shaker wasn't correct based on the other 69's I saw at Car shows. The car works fine with the current set up. But I think I would like to covert it to a "correct" but not necessarily Concours condition. The car has a Total Control Products steering system and Torque Thrust D wheels. So that puts it in the resto-mod category anyway. But I would really like the engine to be as correct as possible without a total rebuild. So if the original intake won't work with the aluminum heads I may just have to live with it. All the best! Troy