Author Topic: WTB 65, 66 or 67 Air Cleaner Snorkel Waxstat  (Read 1484 times)

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
WTB 65, 66 or 67 Air Cleaner Snorkel Waxstat
« on: October 01, 2016, 12:57:15 PM »
Looking for the thermostatic element (commonly called a waxstat) that operates that flapper in the snorkel of a 65, 66 or 67 Mustang air cleaner. Will buy the entire snorkel if you want to sell as a unit. Here is a picture of a waxstat from a repro air cleaner unit I purchased, it is non-functional. Thanks.

Mark

65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline jwc66k

Re: WTB 65, 66 or 67 Air Cleaner Snorkel Waxstat
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
If that thing don't work, that's perfect. Adjust it so the flap is wide open to cool air all the time, not selected preheated air from the exhaust manifold. I've set mine that way for years. Car runs great.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline markb0729

• South Jersey
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 04:27:10 PM »
Nope doesn't work.  It's a solid piece of brass.  That's what you get with the repop air cleaners.  I have it adjusted so the flap is wide open and the engine runs just fine at temperature, better than sucking in hot air all the time.  However, the engine can be a bit cranky in the cooler weather until it warms up.  If I could get a waxstat that works that would be great!
65 Dearborn Built Fastback
Approximate Build Date, September 2, 1964
289 4V, C4, PS, PB, No A/C

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 08:25:09 PM »
If that thing don't work, that's perfect. Adjust it so the flap is wide open to cool air all the time, not selected preheated air from the exhaust manifold. I've set mine that way for years. Car runs great.
Jim

Nope doesn't work.  It's a solid piece of brass.  That's what you get with the repop air cleaners.  I have it adjusted so the flap is wide open and the engine runs just fine at temperature, better than sucking in hot air all the time.  However, the engine can be a bit cranky in the cooler weather until it warms up.  If I could get a waxstat that works that would be great!

It's NEVER cold in Margaritaville ;)
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 08:33:22 PM »
It's NEVER cold in Margaritaville ;)
Never? I've ice skated in my back yard and I live about 4 miles from the former San Jose Ford plant in Milpitas. Never say never.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.