Author Topic: Order of interior reassembly on a 69 Mach 1  (Read 2062 times)

Offline SAcobra427

Order of interior reassembly on a 69 Mach 1
« on: November 06, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
I have finally gotten to the point of installing the interior back into my 69 Mach 1.  I had at one time had an " order or reassembly " I had found online saved for my 69 but cant for the life of me find it anywhere now.  :(   I have so far installed the headliner and front windshield, buts thats it. Still have to do do everything else, dash gauge panels, dash, Interior side panels, upper door/glass weather stripping, etc etc.  and dont want to install things just to have to take them back off because something else should have been installed first.  Does anyone know where I had seen this info or  have this info available ?

Thanks, Tom
68 KR conv.
05 F350 diesel DRW SB
06 Ford GT
15 Porsche 911 turbo S
23  BMW M50
ERA # 833  FE 511ci

Offline rockhouse66

Re: Order of interior reassembly on a 69 Mach 1
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
I can't answer your question but will note that I think the interior sail panels (the ones with the lights in them) need to go in before the back window, as the extra material around the edge is supposed to get tucked in under the rear window seal (along with the headliner)

And oh yes, get the PS vent/kick panel installed before the heater box!
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline Crgjohnson

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 11:02:00 PM »
Make sure to pressure test your heater core even if brand new. Cheap insurance!!
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Medium Blue Metallic, CA emissions
70 BOSS 302(Dearborn 10/69) Calypso Coral, CA emissions
09 Shelby GT 500, factory stripe delete

MCA 69-71 concours BOSS gold card judge
Mustang restorer (hobby)
69 Cougar 3/69

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Think you will find many things that have to follow and over all, got to do this first for the interior. Instead much IMHO oF it is handled by sections (firewall, rear area, doors and so on)

Overall headliner and sail panels before windows. Multiple installs of rear panels and fold downs are often needed to get everything fitting well unless you get lucky

Remote mirrors, door latches, speaker and lights windows and mech before door panels

I use a jig to hold the dash panel (out side the car on a bench) to assemble install switches, glove box door and wiring before that install

Heater, AC and defroster ducts along with all the clutch and or brake stuff before gauges or dash pads

Sure I'm missing a number of things but its a start
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tobkob

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
It also helps if the gas tank isn't installed before the rear seat if it is a fold down seat. Especially when you get older and can't contort like a youngster ;D

TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.

Offline SAcobra427

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
Think you will find many things that have to follow and over all, got to do this first for the interior. Instead much IMHO oF it is handled by sections (firewall, rear area, doors and so on)

Overall headliner and sail panels before windows. Multiple installs of rear panels and fold downs are often needed to get everything fitting well unless you get lucky

Remote mirrors, door latches, speaker and lights windows and mech before door panels

I use a jig to hold the dash panel (out side the car on a bench) to assemble install switches, glove box door and wiring before that install

Heater, AC and defroster ducts along with all the clutch and or brake stuff before gauges or dash pads

Sure I'm missing a number of things but its a start

Good point Jeff to section it out a bit, I mostly need help with the interior behind the doors with installing rear side windows, window weatherstripping/ moulding, rear seat panels( non fold down)  rear glass etc.....

Thanks so far for all the other tips !
68 KR conv.
05 F350 diesel DRW SB
06 Ford GT
15 Porsche 911 turbo S
23  BMW M50
ERA # 833  FE 511ci

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
For the door I would think

1- Remote mirror and or passenger mirror. Just in case something goes sideways with the insert nuts and door handles. Assuming that the door is already attached to the car

2- Outer belt line and might as well get the inside belt line attached to the molding or door panel with the staples. If you don't use the dark staples remember to recolor them once in place with a black sharpe

3- Door latch, runs and attachments for the Windows and mech

4- Speaker and light wiring

5- Arm rest or hand grab supports or thread inserts

6- Windows

7- Door panels

8- Weather strip and bumpers

Doing this all off the top of my head. So may miss something along the way
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)