Author Topic: C-6 ispection cover,,, bolts  (Read 1236 times)

Offline big bad blue

C-6 ispection cover,,, bolts
« on: December 26, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
 I did a search to check for correct bolts for inspection cover, and seen that people claim that the cover should be sg black. I have never seen them black and figured they were natural? Phosphate? As for the bolts, split washer? Like the pan bolts?
70 Eliminator, dearborn 428 CJ born 11/12/69, auto.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: C-6 ispection cover,,, bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 12:21:37 PM »
I did a search to check for correct bolts for inspection cover, and seen that people claim that the cover should be sg black. I have never seen them black and figured they were natural? Phosphate? As for the bolts, split washer? Like the pan bolts?
Typically they were bare steel but I have seen some that were black in places that weren't restored so I wouldn't rule it out. I am not sure if that was a random change by supplier or not. i know that the majority of over the replacement service parts are painted black like so many other service parts so that they wouldn't show rust when the parts customer bought it.  Bolts are as you suspect like the pan bolts  and plated silver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 02:43:22 AM »
Have seen the plates both bare steel and painted black like the C4 covers but many would lean towards the bare steel being the majority. Agree that the retaining bolts were zinc plated
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
Most originals that I have seen on Mustang and Cougar are bare steel.
However, nearly every one that I have gotten from the wrecking yards are painted black. Used to be easy to find on F series trucks, full sized / mid sized Ford and Mercury, etc.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline specialed

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:38 PM »
isn't it more of a vendor thing  as I have some with ford eng # & some no # different vendor  as 1 painted black & other raw steel or an early late change on the ford #  & is there a difference in the stamping of the plate cover or a plant supply thing & I had a 70 Dearborn mach 1 all original & c6 plate was bare steel like the 4-speed covers I see.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:10 PM »
isn't it more of a vendor thing  as I have some with ford eng # & some no # different vendor  as 1 painted black & other raw steel or an early late change on the ford #  & is there a difference in the stamping of the plate cover or a plant supply thing & I had a 70 Dearborn mach 1 all original & c6 plate was bare steel like the 4-speed covers I see.

Very well could be if Ford didn't specify a finish in their specifications during the bid or acceptance process. We've seen these differences and the vendor difference in other items. If followed I would guess that we would find that the difference (if due to different vendors) would be reflected with the differences showing up between cars built at different plants. Most likely San Jose verses the other two just based on geographic location
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)