Author Topic: Consecutive Vins?  (Read 3267 times)

Offline ChrisV289

Consecutive Vins?
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
Has anyone ever found this before on say the 64 1/2-66 Mustangs?  Curious to see if they had the same options/color combination's, etc...The funny thing is my dad has a Hertz Shelby (black and gold) and one of his friend's has one as well.  The Shelby VINS are 5 off from one another but the Ford VINS are consecutive...Just wondering what other examples are out there that someone has found...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Consecutive Vins?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:41 AM »
It would have come down to how the order(s) were received.  If 20 white fastbacks with red interiors were ordered from one dealer on one date, they might have received consecutive VIN's.  Even in that case, it isn't absolutely guaranteed though as orders were processed as received... and I'm sure there wasn't one person doing that job.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:23:17 AM by caspian65 »
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ajd350

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
I work at an 80 year old Ford dealer and way back when Jim Smart was starting the 'In Search Of Mustangs'  project I went through the archived index cards and copied hundreds of VINs and data codes. I sent the info without making copies for myself, but I do recall noticing a few instances of consecutive VINs. IIRC, they were in groups of cars that were ordered together, but not necessarily identical. Unfortunately, a storm damaged the roof and destroyed the orignal cards, so the only copies would be with Jim. BTW, there were no 'K' code or Boss cars ever sold at that dealer.
MCA #2254

Offline yelostang

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
There was a Ford Dealer in Coral Gables(Miami) Fl. Apparently they ordered a group of 66 Mustang Convertible in Signal Flare Red with black interiors. Ended up with two that were 4 digits apart. Later found another one that came from Deel but it's number was a couple thousand away. They were a high volume dealer and the sales manager or whoever ordered, had a penchant for that color and equip. They were all with AT, PS. C Code with AC. Possibly, these cars could have started out as rentals as they big in that. During that time frame, early to mid 80's, it was pretty easy to find 66 Mustang cvts-the most common of all the early Mustang cvts.
One of those 4 digit ones, sat on a concrete driveway at a private residence,  for years. A Miami car, new from, Deel, it was totally rotted underneath from front to back. Be willing to bet it saw some beach travel! Bought it for parts.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:34 PM »
BobV aka Cloney, had a 65 or 66 fastback done up as a Shelby Clone.  He went to a car show, and someone else had done the same, only his was Wimbleton White while Bob's was Refrigerator White.  Same stripes, interior, mods, etc.  And wouldn't you know it...they had consecutive VIN's.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 01:03:06 AM »
I remember that.  Think it was at the Kansas City National.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Epperstang

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 10:24:41 AM »
A couple years ago my pink 66 coupe was in Mustang Monthly. Afterward I was contacted by a guy from Soldotna, Alaska.
He has a coupe that his brother was original owner, pink 66, purchased in Bozeman, MT.
Said the dealer ordered several of them.
The Alaska pink coupe is one VIN digit from mine.
J.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
I worked at a Ford dealer and bought a 79 Indy Pace car
and got ahold of the original order sheet that called for
"four units" which were all consecutive vins. I ended up
buying a second Pace car that has a vin one number
higher than mine.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline 67shelby

• Just jackin' around
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
Quote from: midlife
BobV aka Cloney, had a 65 or 66 fastback done up as a Shelby Clone.  He went to a car show, and someone else had done the same, only his was Wimbleton White while Bob's was Refrigerator White.  Same stripes, interior, mods, etc.  And wouldn't you know it...they had consecutive VIN's.

And both cars were Shelby clones....

I remember that.  Think it was at the Kansas City National.

There is an article about the two clones in the January 2006 Mustang Times.
Lorne Willard - MCA 38287

1965 GT Coupe, 1966 Convertible, 1967 Shelby GT350, 1968 Coupe, 1970 SCJ Mach 1,2003 Mach 1, 2007 Shelby, 2013 GT Vert
MCA Certified: 65-66 Concours, 67-68 Concours, 69-70 Concours, 71-73 Concours, 65-66 Concours Shelby, 67-68 Concours Shelby, 69-70 Concours Shelby, OD, DD

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:06:51 PM »
As manager of the Mustang Times archives, I can't resist...

http://mustangtimes.net/30-1/pg38-40.pdf
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline T5owner

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 10:15:35 AM »
We have 2 1971 429CJ (J-codes) Mustangs with consecutive VINs in our club - today in one owners hands - both export cars, one was bright red, one was light pewter met. ex-factory. Export cars were quite often built in batches, at least the early ones of each model year.