1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1964 1/2 - 1965

Headlight extension repairs--what's best?

<< < (2/3) > >>

MustangAndFairlane1867:
Thanks for all the input everyone.  I'm going to try my hand at a repair with the JB weld.  When I'm done I'll try to post a couple of pictures.  Thanks, Ron

sgl66:

--- Quote from: MustangAndFairlane1867 on January 05, 2018, 12:07:30 AM ---Any chance of getting the name and or number of the restoration shop that has experience with this?  I'd like to give them a call.  Thanks, Ron

--- End quote ---

Sent you a PM

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: MustangAndFairlane1867 on January 05, 2018, 12:09:44 AM ---Did you use the kit from NPD?

--- End quote ---
Ron,
Probably. The one I have is "packaged" by California Pony Cars, and sold by NPD and others. It is "different" than the latest seen on the  NPD website, which still references California Pony Cars. The "difference" seems to be the size and style of the JB weld portion. The kit I have, contains two one ounce capped tubes. The latest NPD catalog shows a joined plastic tube, probably a single use application.
Jim

67gtasanjose:
First, I have NOT tried this on a First Gen Mustang (64.5-66). I Did use a product called Muggyweld Super Alloy 1 low temp solder, to solder a broken pot-metal headlight housing on my 67. Once soldered, you could hardly notice the area I fixed (I filled a portion that was missing). There are video's with claims of a 'no-welding experience woman' using the product on Youtube. I understand the area you wish to repair is thin but you can build this product up if you get the right heat. The secret is in the flux they have, it turns brown at the right temp, keeping you from overheating and melting the pot metal.

Pay particular attention to the video timeline at 3:54 minutes (yes, that was a Mustang Headlamp Extension!)

jwc66k:

--- Quote from: 67gtasanjose on January 05, 2018, 02:21:54 PM ---I Did use a product called Muggyweld Super Alloy 1 low temp solder, to solder a broken pot-metal headlight housing on my 67.

--- End quote ---
On of my neighbors used this when he ran out of JB Weld. He liked it.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version