1st Generation 1964 1/2 - 1973 - Questions & general discussions that apply to a specific year > 1967 Mustang

67 steering questions

<< < (2/2)

Bob Gaines:

--- Quote from: carguytroy on January 18, 2018, 11:46:31 PM ---That helps for sure. Other than the pitman arm, is the rest of the steering linkage the same for either box or would the big block effect that at all? Need to figure a few of these things out before I buy anymore stuff I probably don’t need or can’t use.

--- End quote ---
Your assumption is correct. They are the same.

67gtasanjose:
+1, I agree that ALL big blocks got the short shaft gear box but there is an early AND late version of the short shaft gear box and I would say your build date would get the later one.

Without doing the research again, (you should continue to look for the "when" the change-over took place) I can add to the discussion there were two different short INPUT shaft gear boxes used in '67, identified by the OUTPUT shaft diameters (early & late)... and subsequently, two different pitman arms used. (Early version=small diameter output shaft, Late version= large diameter output shaft). Jim was correct, I believe some clues would most likely be in the MPC to narrow down the date when the change occurred. There is also just as much likelihood the change-over is just an estimated date.

67gta289:
Referencing the 67 MPC on the third post here:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10307.msg61286#msg61286

The change over date listed is 5/1/67

carguytroy:
That helps a lot. Appreciate all the help on this and other questions I have. I really want to do this right

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version