Author Topic: Brake Fluid - What are you guys using...  (Read 6307 times)

Offline Morsel

Re: Brake Fluid - What are you guys using...
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:55 PM »
Don't worry .The soft pedal statement is more in reference to extreme braking in comparison to the Dot 3. I doubt you will notice any difference in pleasure driving.

Thanks Bob, don't know why I'm stressing over this since so many seem to use it, there's so much more to stress about on the car, haha. But I appreciate the feedback on my question, just didn't want something like "wow, where'd my braking go".

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 07:40:58 PM »
The softer feel of the pedal using DOT 5 is something like having your rear drum brakes not quite adjusted as tight as they could be, more like after a fair amount of driving without backing up to adjust your rear drums.  It is quite subtle and hand-adjusting the rears will more than compensate for that difference in feel. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Morsel

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2018, 08:50:25 PM »
The softer feel of the pedal using DOT 5 is something like having your rear drum brakes not quite adjusted as tight as they could be, more like after a fair amount of driving without backing up to adjust your rear drums.  It is quite subtle and hand-adjusting the rears will more than compensate for that difference in feel.

Ahh, good one... as for the feel, if it's not that much different, it's been so long since I've driven the car I probably won't remember what it felt like before ;)

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »
Next question. Who's DOT 5 fluid are you using and where do you get it? I have shopped all the auto and major stores in my area that carry auto parts and none carry DOT 5 fluid. Counter guy at AutoZone even tried to tell me I was mistaken, that I needed DOT 5.1 as there is no DOT 5.

Looks like its eBay purchases or the smaller motorcycle shops that carry the 11oz or less bottles.

And a quick search again and I see Summit Racing IS selling the 11oz Maxima DOT 5 fluid for $11.99 ea.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »
I bought some yesterday at Advance Auto.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
I use the Wilwood fluid. 600 degree boiling point. Dot 5 feels mushy.  If you have a big block car and drive it hard, you need something better than DOT 5.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 10:33:47 PM »
I use the Wilwood fluid. 600 degree boiling point. Dot 5 feels mushy.  If you have a big block car and drive it hard, you need something better than DOT 5.

-Keith
If you read the entire thread you will see that which fluid is better for spirited driving is not in debate. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 11:17:40 PM »
Well, Bob... I skimmed on my phone between departure from DFW and the check list for arrival at ORD.  You'll have to forgive me this time.. I see DOT 5 pushed constantly here and other forums. I'm not a fan.
                                                                                                     -Keith
                                                                                                -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 11:58:14 PM »
Well, Bob... I skimmed on my phone between departure from DFW and the check list for arrival at ORD.  You'll have to forgive me this time.. I see DOT 5 pushed constantly here and other forums. I'm not a fan.
                                                                                                     -Keith
                                                                                                -
Keith, Dot 5 is not pushed or even suggested for track cars or ones where there is frequent spirited driving . Given the main thrust on this forum is restoration and maintenance of cars that are restored back to factory the dot 5 is the choice of many enthusiasts and restoration shops alike because it is maintenance friendly for those mostly pleasure driven cars.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 12:23:59 AM »
Bob, I didn't say you pushed it. I also understand the concern with damage to paint, which DOT 5 is paint-friendly. I didn't even care for it as a driver fluid. It gives a very strange feel to an already anemic brake system.  No need to take personal offence. I know many live on a trailer here. However, I would venture to guess the majority drive their vehicle and disc brakes transfer more heat to the fluid than drum. As you also know it's catastrophic to mix it with any other fluid. Just my experience.

-Keith

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »
Bob, I didn't say you pushed it. I also understand the concern with damage to paint, which DOT 5 is paint-friendly. I didn't even care for it as a driver fluid. It gives a very strange feel to an already anemic brake system.  No need to take personal offence. I know many live on a trailer here. However, I would venture to guess the majority drive their vehicle and disc brakes transfer more heat to the fluid than drum. As you also know it's catastrophic to mix it with any other fluid. Just my experience.

-Keith
Keith,I didn't take personal offence but was just trying to explain to you in case you mis understood the context of the position many have on the DOT 5 . The message was meant in informative but friendly spirit. You are certainly welcome to your opinion.