Author Topic: are these UCAs original? Found markings Green Paint and stamps  (Read 780 times)

Offline evantugby

I have a pair of UCAs that I would like to know if they are original. Obviously the ball joint has been replaced. But on the underside of the UCA is a "C4" and a triangle with a "D". 

Note: before I media blasted the rest of the UCA I found this green paint on the saddle. The saddle bolts say "rockford" too. 

So there are your clues. 

Thoughts? 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:34:55 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline ChrisV289

Re: are these UCAs original?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:50 PM »
Take a pic of the area near the ball joint that faces out. Sometimes there is a date code stamp there
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline evantugby

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 07:17:32 PM »
Chris,
Based on your suggestion I went to review the ball joint area on the UCA's in question and nothing.  However I checked my original 6T09K GT UCAs and found each stamped with a "K".  Is this a new observation to the forum?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:35:37 PM by evantugby »

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: are these UCAs original? Found markings Green Paint and stamps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
Note: before I media blasted the rest of the UCA I found this green paint on the saddle. The saddle bolts say "rockford" too. 
Thoughts?

Have seen the green paint marks on the spring saddles but no on 65-67 vehicles so this IMHO suggests that the donor car was a later one

.......... However I checked my original 6T09K GT UCAs and found each stamped with a "K".  Is this a new observation to the forum?

The fact that you found a stamp there - No  or Chris would not have suggested looking there ;)

Or are you referring to the fact that it looks like a "K"?  If so then no also the pattern for early a arms would be the month (letter) followed by the year (single digit)

All of this is referenced and illustrated on page #31 of the Date coding article in the Library
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 09:29:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 09:22:05 PM »
Chris,
Based on your suggestion I went to review the ball joint area on the UCA's in question and nothing.  However I checked my original 6T09K GT UCAs and found each stamped with a "K".  Is this a new observation to the forum?

Charles mentions the date codes in his blog here:  http://65kresto.blogspot.com/2009/06/53109.html
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline evantugby

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:11:38 PM »
Have seen the green paint marks on the spring saddles but no on 65-67 vehicles so this IMHO suggests that the donor car was a later one

The fact that you found a stamp there - No  or Chris would not have suggested looking there ;)

Or are you referring to the fact that it looks like a "K"?  If so then no also the pattern for early a arms would be the month (letter) followed by the year (single digit)

All of this is referenced and illustrated on page #31 of the Date coding article in the Library

Great article!  Here are my comments.  The fact that their is only a "K" on my 6T09K UCAs might elude to the month of October, which is the month my kar was built.  That sounds correct, however it doesn't have the second number stamp.  As for the pair of 6F07A UCAs with a "C4" stamp underneath each UCA would indicate date of March 1964 which would not be correct coming from a 1966 car.   

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
Great article!  Here are my comments.  The fact that their is only a "K" on my 6T09K UCAs might elude to the month of October, which is the month my kar was built.  That sounds correct, however it doesn't have the second number stamp.  As for the pair of 6F07A UCAs with a "C4" stamp underneath each UCA would indicate date of March 1964 which would not be correct coming from a 1966 car.   

Your mixing identification marks (consider the stamp location) and date coding marks

The very very small date code stamps are often very difficult to see or read not surprised that you can only make out one of them. The date may have been applied once the A arm was completed and done as the a arm simply sat on a work area - not in a vise or something to hold it so the stamping is irregular and uneven 

The C4  mark you found - I've only found these so far always starting with a C and for right now don't think they are related to the dating
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)