Author Topic: Export Brace repro/original  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Export Brace repro/original
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 06:11:33 PM »
The last Ford service export braces were of the thinner metal variety and shaped the differently than the assemblyline braces .The last Ford service versions were identical to the cheesy repro versions which makes me think that is what the aftermarket copied from. Using the last version before it goes obsolete has seemed to have been the standard practice unfortunately by the aftermarket to copy.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline KevinK

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 01:39:39 PM »
I just checked mine and had trouble getting a good measurement. Too many curves and distortion around the bolt holes. It was measuring thicker. I did measure .139 on the outside vertical edge by the firewall. Looks like I have a Ford unit. It was on the guys car for more than 10 years.

I did notice 4 small holes in the right side ribs. Did the repros have that?
MCA #33800, Gold Card 3rd Gen
BAMA Member
67 Coupe, 69 Coupe, 74 Coupe, 84 SVO, 84 GT Turbo, 86 GT, 88 McLaren, 89 LX Sport, 03 Mach 1, 07 GT500, 14 GT/CS

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »
I just checked mine and had trouble getting a good measurement. Too many curves and distortion around the bolt holes. It was measuring thicker. I did measure .139 on the outside vertical edge by the firewall. L
My "measurements" were made on the inner edge, midway between the shock tower and the firewall, 0.135 inch. That area has the least distortion from the stamping process.
All three of my 20-25 year old, known Ford dealer sold braces have two holes on the right hand side, one about 6 inches in the center downward dipped rib, the other in the left hand downward dipped rib midway to the shock tower. I assume they were intended for screw attached clips for wiring (I used a pair of 372047-S100 clips, the ones called out for standard installations) and/or the heater hose. Possibly for the choke cable on HP engine cars.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »
I just checked mine and had trouble getting a good measurement. Too many curves and distortion around the bolt holes. It was measuring thicker. I did measure .139 on the outside vertical edge by the firewall. Looks like I have a Ford unit. It was on the guys car for more than 10 years.

Post some pictures and we should be able to settle on what you have . A shot from above showing the entire brace and a shot turned on edge for a side profile. Some originals had the small holes and some did not.  I have not seen 4 on one side before. There is still the matter of if a 65/66 version or the 67/68 version . 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 08:23:49 PM »

Haven't seen any with four small holes in the support arms not have any pictures of original with that many holes. Possibly added and not a confirmation of an original. Some originals have a single holes located in  the forward most "dip" midway in the passenger side support arm

Agree that it would help for us and in the future if you would identify if yours is an early (65-66) or later version. Note: the finishes on the early brace is not original ;)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 05:49:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 12:34:28 AM »
Export brace holes location.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Ralf

• http://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2022, 06:27:15 AM »
A bit old, but....

I have 2 one piece export braces Scott Drake, chrome (manuf. 2020) and black (manuf. 2021, named concours).

I tried for testing purposes to assemble the shock tower caps (as well Scott Drake and a set ACP) to the export brace.

Result:
- the right side fitted perfectly
- the left side did not line up at all.

Problem:
Trying to bring the holes (brace and cap) in line leads into the fact that the cap touches the brace rib.
As a further result a big gap shows up now between brace and cap. And its only on this hole, the other two holes there is no gab visible.

I figured out that the position of the export brace holes are different from left to the right and probably causing the issue. Its not a matter
on the caps. I even tried an original Ford cap, same problem.

Both braces (chrome and black) show the same result.

What to do here? A common problem? A production issue/failure?
How to fix it?

See pics.

Edit
Attached 2 other pics where you can see the perfect alignment on the holes right side and the disalignment on the left side. Of course, now the left cap does not touch the rib and there is no gap anymore ;D

Thanks for your comments.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:15:43 PM by Ralf »
1967 Convertible 289, C4 Automatic, Built Nov 30 1966, SJ, DSO75.
Pictures: https://mustang-cabrio-67.jimdo.com/mustang-1967-impressionen

Offline Keith Stem

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2022, 09:59:46 AM »
I purchased a Scott Drake Export Brace form Virginia Mustang. The brace is heavy and looks good. The export brace is not correct for my 68CJ, but I really had no choice. The measurement between the inter-fenders just above the top bolt should be 40 inches, mine was 39 inches. I could not get the proper camber angle on either wheel.

I removed the original shock tower braces and placed the export brace in position. I loosely bolted the brace to the firewall. The bolts at the shock tower did not line up either left and right or fore and aft. I jacked the front end up and placed a jack stand behind the torque box on both sides. I loosened all the fender bolts then I cut two 4X4?s at about a 15-degree angle and placed a 12-ton bottle jack between the 4X4?s. I had to support one of the 4X4?s with a 2X4 braced against the radiator support to keep the 4X4?s from bowing out. After carefully spreading the inner fenders, the export brace aligned with the shock cap bolts. At that point I temporally bolted down the brace and removed the 12-ton jack and 4X4?s. From there I was able to reinstall the shock caps, jack up the wheels and bolt the shocks back in place.

After getting the car back on the ground I checked the camber and had -1 to -1.5. The 4X4 and a bottle jack is not the best or safest way to spread the inner fenders, and I would not recommend this method, but it is all this redneck southern shade tree I had to work with.

I got the brace in the black finish and if you do not look really close it almost does not show. When I do show the car at an MCA show I am in the Conservator class an incorrect brace should not be an issue, the big plus is the improved camber and the car does drive better.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2022, 12:28:33 PM »
A bit old, but....

I have 2 one piece export braces Scott Drake, chrome (manuf. 2020) and black (manuf. 2021, named concours).

I tried for testing purposes to assemble the shock tower caps (as well Scott Drake and a set ACP) to the export brace.

Result:
- the right side fitted perfectly
- the left side did not line up at all.

Problem:
Trying to bring the holes (brace and cap) in line leads into the fact that the cap touches the brace rib.
As a further result a big gap shows up now between brace and cap. And its only on this hole, the other two holes there is no gab visible.

I figured out that the position of the export brace holes are different from left to the right and probably causing the issue. Its not a matter
on the caps. I even tried an original Ford cap, same problem.

Both braces (chrome and black) show the same result.

What to do here? A common problem? A production issue/failure?
How to fix it?

See pics.

Edit
Attached 2 other pics where you can see the perfect alignment on the holes right side and the disalignment on the left side. Of course, now the left cap does not touch the rib and there is no gap anymore ;D

Thanks for your comments.

All those reproduction parts - especially those from Scott Drake - will result in poor fit and automatic deductions at shows. I think too your sides are swapped - the driver sits on the left side of the car for example, except in British influenced areas.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Ralf

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I made these test parts laying on a table, not assembled in the car, so there is no impact from that point. The problem is in my point of view 100 % related to the obvioisly wrong hole position on the export brace left side. But that means all of those must have this issue.
When I say left side I look into the engine bay in front of the car.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2022, 01:09:50 PM »
Years back, I bought a NOS Ford export brace for each of the four Mustangs I owned, a 65 and three 66 models. On two, both 66 models, the fit was terrible. I had to jack up the front, remove the lower crossmember and do a lot of persuading to get a fit on one. Turns out that the car got hit on the right front quarter. After a trip to a "frame" shop, replacing the RH fender apron and radiator support, it fit nicely. (I sold that car.) The other had no damage, but the brace would not align with the four holes at the firewall. I used a large tapered drift pin to "assist" the placement of the four bolts. That car had never been in any accidents (I knew both previous owners). On the other two, the brace "dropped in" with almost no effort. I remove the export brace and Monte Carlo bar from any car I take to a show.
My point is each car is different, and has a different history - 50 plus years of driving history. Any installation is compounded by age and poor quality control of aftermarket items.
Jim

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2022, 03:56:24 PM »
Dont get me wrong, I made these test parts laying on a table, not assembled in the car, so there is no impact from that point. The problem is in my point of view 100 % related to the obvioisly wrong hole position on the export brace left side. But that means all of those must have this issue.
When I say left side I look into the engine bay in front of the car.

Well that is the wrong way to identify things. Ford identifies the left side of anything as the side where the driver sits in the USA.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Ralf

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2022, 04:12:56 PM »
Ok. Thanks for clarification.
My problem has nothing to do with the car itself.

Two parts are not matching together.
I'm interested in if there is a proposal for problem solving, or if anyone else has the same issue and has solution to fix it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 04:15:10 PM by Ralf »

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2022, 04:42:57 PM »
Ok. Thanks for clarification.
My problem has nothing to do with the car itself.

Two parts are not matching together.
I'm interested in if there is a proposal for problem solving, or if anyone else has the same issue and has solution to fix it.
Do you have the Ford drawing for the non-shelby, aka Mustang, export brace to do a detailed determination of the problems? Without that, you are just "spinning your wheels".
Jim

Offline Ralf

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2022, 05:09:45 PM »
Do you have the Ford drawing for the non-shelby, aka Mustang, export brace to do a detailed determination of the problems

Should be available and I will messure the parts 3D and figure out the root cause. After I found out I gonna contact Holley to correct the tools if this is what needs to be done.
Until that I store the parts in my rubbish.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 05:18:03 PM by Ralf »