Author Topic: electrical system testing checklist  (Read 912 times)

Offline 67gta289

electrical system testing checklist
« on: May 03, 2018, 07:34:47 PM »
I put this checklist together to keep track of electrical system testing, and thought I would share it since it just might help someone who is like minded.

Relevant background:

1. I bench tested major components (W/S washer motor and blower motor being the most important due to difficulty in accessing later on).
2. I continuity tested each wire in each harness before installing them
3. I am in the process of functional testing as you can see from the attached check list.  Some items not checked yet, and I have some troubled functions to go after.

My goal? I want to avoid any difficult rework.  Examples of things I want to avoid:

1. Removing the W/S washer motor now that most everything is in place.  If I needed to do that now, we are talking multiple hours, potential damage, and general frustration.
2. Removing recently installed door panels to fix an issue with electrical equipment located in the door.
3. Removing fastback side panels to take care of a missing ground wire for one of the courtesy lights.

I'm not worried about alternator/starting/charging at this point because it is accessible.  The starter motor though would be something I check for sure before bolting that up.

I hope this helps.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Re: electrical system testing checklist
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 02:07:08 PM »
very good check list....For me, electrical circuits always seem to mess with me.  I recently restored a 67 Coupe. Harness for the charging circuit had problems and was grafted by a previous repair person...anyway in performing continuity testing, I had a direct short to ground...turned out to be the dome light switch circuit....I had the door open. I won't tell you how many evenings of testing it took

I had a 70 convertible that I restored and had a problem with the signal light circuit....many weeks of testing and disassembling, turned out to be a bad ground between the signal light bracket and the front bumper....I can laugh now. Therapy helped.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967