Author Topic: 428 cj engine number  (Read 1885 times)

Offline chrint

428 cj engine number
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »
I own a 1969 428 cj , but it came with out the original motor, can i be able to work out the engine number from my VIN #
Being 9F02R140083
chris.ctech@bigpond.com

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 428 cj engine number
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:05:48 AM »
I own a 1969 428 cj , but it came with out the original motor, can i be able to work out the engine number from my VIN #
Being 9F02R140083
chris.ctech@bigpond.com
Typically the Ford VIN was stamped on the engine. Many times the just the last sequential numbers of your VIN would be stamped on the rear of the driver head.  Less often seen is when it was stamped just below the head on the block pad cast for that purpose. There are also numerous possible derivatives of the VIN that could have been stamped as well . For example -140083 , 02R140083 ,0083 or any combination in between. I hope this answer the question you were asking because I wasn't exactly sure what you meant.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline chrint

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:14:14 AM »
Hi Bob, I whish to re stamp the correct engine # on the replacement engine block Sir.
Can you tell me what colour paint markings would be on a Dearborn 1969 428 cj  4 speed manual non ac car for the front coil springs and the rear leaf springs please Bob.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »
Can I ask why you wish to restamp it?

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 01:43:25 AM »
Sure I live in Australia and the person who did the restoration on the car, supplied a replacement motor because the car came with out the original engine.
He was going to stamp the correct # on the engine to match original.
There are other things to consider before wasting your time stamping numbers . There are assembly date codes when the short block was assembled and there are casting date codes on the block and heads. If the block was a later service block for instance it will have thick ribs protruding from the sides in the casting which are highly visible and tell the story that it is not a assemblyline block regardless of if you stamp numbers on the engine or not. If the date codes don't correspond closely before the car was built at Ford then there is no use stamping numbers on the engine because you will not make it look like a original engine if the other details are wrong.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 03:03:20 AM »
Stamping of numbers is required in some countries for licensing and registration purposes. That may be the case here given what he has already disclosed

chrint is this the reason for your stamping or is it to make the car appear more original? If your stamping for registration purposes you might want it to not look original so your not going to mislead anyone else into thinking its original but instead it may be seen for what it is, just fulfilling state law

As for paint markings I think it's best if you start a new thread in the 69-70 section for that question. Keeps things easier for others to find information when they use the search and keeps things a bit more tidy that way ;)   Will need to know when the car was built and the body type

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 03:11:15 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline chrint

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 05:35:26 AM »
Yes Sir

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
9F02R140083 being the VIN number, your Mustang's original engine stamping would have been 9F140083. The year, plant code, and sequential VIN number were the components of the hidden VIN stampings found on engine and transmission.

Actually stamping this number on a replacement engine brings the question of ethics and legality into play as others have mentioned.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline AussieRcode

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:11:11 AM »

I`m from Australia as well and as Jeff said you need a engine number for registration and insurance reasons , My CJ  came without it`s original engine also , so i just stamped 6 numbers (not my vin) on the front of My new CJ engine to satisfy law/transport department ,