Author Topic: Radio Suppression - With Generator  (Read 6955 times)

Offline must69

Re: Radio Suppression
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
Jim, I’ll have to check when I get back home ( on vacation now). I would think they may have said Philco.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Is there any way to tell if it was a dealer installed radio?
Phil

Think it depends if the dealer used a Ford radio kit or one of the aftermarket ones I believe.

As for the suppressor (need to see if I have a picture of a Ford kit) don't recall if the suppressors were included in the kit or they were a separate part number and package. Recall them being in a kit (just a radio suppressor kit) but don't recall if they were also included in the full kit. If separate then a dealer might have forgotten but one would expect the owner would complain and it to have been fixed when they found that they got allot of static and couldn't listen to the radio they paid extra for

Question still remains if a generator has the same problems. Can't remember if the cars from the 40;s - 50's I've owned had suppressors
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline must69

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »
You would think they would have complained. I bought the car in 2008 from the original owner, and it only has 31,000 miles on it, and sat in a garage with a blown engine since 1972.  They did not change the oil often.  Had the what I believe to be the original belts and hoses. Bearing all that in mind, the noise might not have bothered them at all.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
Jim, I’ll have to check when I get back home ( on vacation now). I would think they may have said Philco.
Yeah. I remember them. I worked for Philco-Ford for 18 years. They "altered" their name often.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
Think it depends if the dealer used a Ford radio kit or one of the aftermarket ones I believe.

As for the suppressor (need to see if I have a picture of a Ford kit) don't recall if the suppressors were included in the kit or they were a separate part number and package. Recall them being in a kit (just a radio suppressor kit) but don't recall if they were also included in the full kit. If separate then a dealer might have forgotten but one would expect the owner would complain and it to have been fixed when they found that they got allot of static and couldn't listen to the radio they paid extra for

Question still remains if a generator has the same problems. Can't remember if the cars from the 40;s - 50's I've owned had suppressors
The early kits I have had came with the suppressor . I have never had a 65 set but assume it came with two (alt cars anyway).
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »
my 64 1/2 and 65 radio kits both come with radio suppressors in a seperate sealed bag with other accessories

havent opened my 66 one as yet

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Radio Suppression - With Generator
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 09:07:15 PM »
Found this picture today searching for another

Sorry didn't recall having it

Jeff Speegle

Offline must69

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
Now that is interesting!

Offline must69

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 09:26:30 PM »
Just checked my tear down photos.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 10:43:17 AM »
Found this picture today searching for another

Sorry didn't recall having it

Same as on the pace car I restored.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CW4macret

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 01:57:37 PM »
Just happen to have this on the bench

Mac
64.5, 5F07D
66 Convertible 6T08T
71 Mach1 429CJ 1F05J
01 Coupe
05 GT
08 GT500
14 GT500

Offline must69

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:07 PM »
I know they were throwing whatever they could at production, but it’s strange why the suppressor is found in two different places.  I wonder if the assembly line installed radios were on the generator and the dealer installed radios on the voltage regulator? 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 02:18:40 PM »
I know they were throwing whatever they could at production, but it’s strange why the suppressor is found in two different places. 

Don't believe that they were "throwing whatever they could at production"  no real evidence of that from workers or managers I've have talked to. Just the typical start of sort of things and its not like they were starting to build any car without the parts needed in place, ready to go.

I wonder if the assembly line installed radios were on the generator and the dealer installed radios on the voltage regulator?

As we can see with the slightly later cars Ford used two of the suppressors so finding one in two different but logical locations may just indicate that on one car the regulator one is missing and the other the generator one is after all these years.
Jeff Speegle

Offline must69

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
Not to argue the point Jim, but they were really scratching sources to satisfy the demand for production. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »
Not to argue the point Jim, but they were really scratching sources to satisfy the demand for production.

Its Jeff and though they were busy filling demand they weren't leaving off parts or randomly changing things on the fly to satisfy it from what I have been told by some there at the time. Not to argue the point either but maybe your car has been changed since day 1.  We just need to find additional examples and try and apply the multiple finding guide to get a better picture of production at that time
Jeff Speegle