Author Topic: 64 1/2 Parking Brake Return Spring Frame Anchor  (Read 372 times)

Offline Tom

64 1/2 Parking Brake Return Spring Frame Anchor
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
I am restoring my 64 1/2 Mustang convertible and trying to remember where the parking brake return spring anchors to the frame. I tried hooking the anchor end into the hole created where the metal folds over the frame rail/seat support joint, but the spring is way too tight, and also rubs on the exhaust and this cannot be correct.

I believe after researching the internet, there may be two vertical holes drilled into the frame rail where the return spring end goes. Can someone please confirm this? Additionally, if this is where the return spring anchors, where exactly are the holes drilled? I would appreciate any measurements and/or pictures so I don't make a mistake.
Thank you
Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 64 1/2 Parking Brake Return Spring Frame Anchor
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
Both front (forward frame rails that start about at the bottom of the firewall and go rearward from there) have the 2 holes in them originally at the rear of each frame rails. And two sets (one inner and one outer) per each frame rail  By designing the frame rails this way Ford didn't have to make drivers and passenger side versions of the frame rails just one version for both.  As you can see fastback and coupes used one version while convertibles another but believe the hole size is the same

These should help you locate the holes

Sorry don't have measurements for the holes handy. But case is a good example showing why you shouldn't throw anything out until the project (and even then) is finished ;) Reproduction panels are often missing brackets, holes and other details that you'll need at some point
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:07:11 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)