Author Topic: Heater Motor Color  (Read 1102 times)

Offline 1970 Snake

Heater Motor Color
« on: November 15, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »
Can someone please advise what color/shade of black the heater motor and mounting plate are on a 1970 mustang. Is it a semi-gloss or gloss black?
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Heater Motor Color
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:32:29 PM »
Can someone please advise what color/shade of black the heater motor and mounting plate are on a 1970 mustang. Is it a semi-gloss or gloss black?

Semi-gloss black on the shinier side. Or another way shinier than the engine compartment black but not a high gloss or thick paint application
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 11:19:26 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I suspected that, as I painted it semi-gloss and it seemed to dull, there was a little original paint on it before glass beading and it looked like a slightly dull gloss just like you have identified.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 12:55:35 AM »
Thanks Jeff, I suspected that, as I painted it semi-gloss and it seemed to dull, there was a little original paint on it before glass beading and it looked like a slightly dull gloss just like you have identified.
Another way to add different levels of shine is to use a clear coat over the too dull black. For instance Krylon "crystal clear " is typically a semigloss.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 11:52:37 AM »
Thanks Bob, I have been using a clear but not the Krylon and find it to shiney have been looking for a semi-gloss type clear, will give it a try.

I guess while I am at the color thing, can you guys also advise what color the brake booster and master cylinder are painted, I am guessing also the same as the heater motor but would be great to know exactly. Again this is for a Dearborn built 1970 mustang.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:17:03 AM by 1970 Snake »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 03:45:52 PM »
Thanks Bob, I have been using a clear but not the Krylon and find it to shiney have been looking for a semi-gloss type clear, will give it a try.

I guess while I am at the color thing, can you guys also advise what color the brake booster and master cylinder are painted, I am guessing also the same as the heater motor but would be great to know exactly. Again this is for a Dearborn built 1970 mustang.
I have never heard of a factory documented paint product formula specification so I would  hesitate on exactly in that context. With that said for all practical purposes it will be close to the heater motor + or -in a small degree. They were painted at different mfg so a slight variation of semigloss would be expected.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:35 AM »

Booster, bolted to the master cylinder were painted as a unit on at least most of the 70's

As for level of gloss or flat I'll let you decide. Here is a NOS example boxed in the early 70's to help with that

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 08:10:51 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I have used dupli-color 1677 gloss black in other places and found it is not that glossy and will see how that looks, it will probably work just fine based on the comments you have provided.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 08:16:19 AM by 1970 Snake »