Author Topic: Brake line clip color  (Read 661 times)

Offline Flade

Brake line clip color
« on: September 04, 2022, 04:00:56 PM »
Are the three brake line clips (1 rear, & 2 front) that hold the flex lines to the body supposed to be Zinc (Silver) or Zinc with Chromate (Gold) plated? 

The clips sold by NPD are all Zinc, but I though I remember originals being Gold colored.

The same goes for the Brake Shoe retaining Pins.  I believe the originals had Gold (Chromate) coating over the Zinc. Is this correct?

My car is a late 68 built at the San Jose Plant.
68 Convertible, 289 C4, SJ May 68 build date

Offline jwc66k

Re: Brake line clip color
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
Got a Ford part number? I looked at the "68 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual" and couldn't figure out which ones they were. Some have Ford engineering part numbers, some are regular Ford hardware part numbers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2022, 12:02:10 AM »
Are the three brake line clips (1 rear, & 2 front) that hold the flex lines to the body supposed to be Zinc (Silver) or Zinc with Chromate (Gold) plated? 

The clips sold by NPD are all Zinc, but I though I remember originals being Gold colored.

The same goes for the Brake Shoe retaining Pins.  I believe the originals had Gold (Chromate) coating over the Zinc. Is this correct?

Shoe pins were typically gold. I don't remember seeing the flex hose clips in zinc or gold chromate. P/O or late 68 may have been safety red over P/O. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 02:04:33 PM »

For a '68 AMK sells the clip for the rear hose as B-13169 with a Phosphate + Oil finish followed by a red coating. The E-brake clips are B-13142 in the same finish which I believe is correct.

Link: [size=78%]https://www.amkproducts.com/i-kits/ford-individual-fastener-kits/?year_=1968&model=Mustang&category=Brakes[/size]
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Flade

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 03:47:14 PM »
Thank you, I have the correct red hairpins for the E brake.  I haven?t seen the B-13169 red clips from AMK, thanks for the lead on that.  I?ll have to find someone who sells them (or put together a decent sized order from AMK)

I tried searching on the Assembly manual numbers and couldn?t find a reference I could link to a AMK part.  Front clips are listed as C8ZA-2814-A, the single rear clip is listed as C9ZA-2814-A

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 07:14:10 PM »
Zinc phosphate the clip or bolt and then apply Dykem layout dye.  https://www.amazon.com/Dykem-04968-Layout-Fluid-Brush/dp/B007464BQM/ref=sr_1_3
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Flade

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 12:06:29 AM »
Great stuff thanks, just ordered it

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 06:36:30 PM »
You can use in the pinch a red marker pen such as a wide sharpie in place. Both as simple red dyes and fi you will oil or wax either it will help with the color lasting a bit longer
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »

For a '68 AMK sells the clip for the rear hose as B-13169 with a Phosphate + Oil finish followed by a red coating. The E-brake clips are B-13142 in the same finish which I believe is correct.

Have you confirmed that for and on original 68 San Jose built cars?

Do have unrestored examples from San Jose with the safety red e brake cable clips as shown below

Thank you, I have the correct red hairpins for the E brake.  I haven?t seen the B-13169 red clips from AMK, thanks for the lead on that.  I?ll have to find someone who sells them (or put together a decent sized order from AMK)

Any problem with refinishing the originals. Pretty simple.  If not pitted, clean them up, gun blue them and then add the red dye, oil/wax and your done

I tried searching on the Assembly manual numbers and couldn?t find a reference I could link to a AMK part.  Front clips are listed as C8ZA-2814-A, the single rear clip is listed as C9ZA-2814-A

Different number suggest different part in finish or design though the service replacement (C9 part in this example) will work

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 07:48:12 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 09:44:15 PM »
Have you confirmed that for and on original 68 San Jose built cars?

Do have unrestored examples from San Jose with the safety red e brake cable clips as shown below

No virtually every car I restore was built in Dearborn. Even then these parts are normally so rusty they are not useful for reference. Only Metuchen for the '68 Shelbys I work on so no San Jose cars there either.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Flade

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 12:45:07 AM »
Great pictures of the unrestored parking brake cable.  I?ll need to add the yellow paint on the cable.  It seems to pretty thin, almost like a dye or wash.

Unfortunately my original clips for the flex hoses are pretty badly pitted. The replacement parts are not shaped properly.   I?ll. See if ai can find some originals o refinish

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 12:51:45 AM »
Great pictures of the unrestored parking brake cable.  I?ll need to add the yellow paint on the cable.  It seems to pretty thin, almost like a dye or wash.

Unfortunately my original clips for the flex hoses are pretty badly pitted. The replacement parts are not shaped properly.   I?ll. See if ai can find some originals o refinish
Typically orange. The small sample looks orange to me but that is because that is what I am used to seeing.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 12:59:01 AM »
Bob got to the orange before I did since I was putting together some pictures  :) All good

The paint mark on the end of the E brake conduit is not a typical examples of what is typically found. Orange is the standard expected mark and was paint. Not sure if the ones in the picture posted above was watered.reduced down too much or simply the worker forgot to stir before they started marking this one - my guess. The orange color mark started in 68 and continued into 69

Suggest you go with the strong standard orange unless you can document a mark that is original specific car

Upper left is a close up of the off orange from the specific car in the Unrestored picture thread

Jeff Speegle

Offline Flade

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 10:20:26 AM »
Thanks J,

I?ve got some perfect orange for that color you show correct for 68.  I?m going to soak my original cable ends and see if there is any paint left to match as well.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 11:58:57 AM »
If wanting to be historically accurate do not make the paint perfect unmarred . The paint apparently was applied to the fittings before they were crimped on the cable. The paint typically had various markings made into it from the crimping on of the fitting process. This is confirmed by the vast majority of NOS and survivor examples. It is common to see them made perfect painted on restored cars.