Author Topic: 1967 Radiator ID Help Needed  (Read 1197 times)

Offline musclecarfan

1967 Radiator ID Help Needed
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:02:32 AM »
I have a FoMoCo radiator for an automatic car with the following marking on the side but I can't find the exact code anywhere online to properly ID it. I believe it is for a Metuchen or Dearborn 390 or 428 equipped car. Number is C7ZE then farter down the side strap is E1 (a diamond shape) and then 6K2. The 6K2 I assume is Oct 2, 1966. I see E2 code is for 390/428 Auto no A/C, but I don't see E1. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1967 Radiator ID Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:37:52 AM »
The C7ZE indicates it is a 67 Mustang radiator and the inlet and outlet indicate it is for a big block. The bottom tank has fittings for a automatic transmission cooler which indicates it is for a automatic. FYI service replacement radiators came with the automatic coolers regardless so less inventory had to be kept.  You can check to see if it is a two row core which would be standard cooling or 3 rows which is for heavy duty cooling used typically in A/C equipped cars unless ordered otherwise.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline musclecarfan

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »
It's a 3 row radiator.  Just trying to determine if it's for a GTA, Shelby etc.  C7ZE-E1 is the code but I don't see anything for E1, only E2 (390/428).  it's an Auto. 

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »
It's a 3 row radiator.  Just trying to determine if it's for a GTA, Shelby etc.  C7ZE-E1 is the code but I don't see anything for E1, only E2 (390/428).  it's an Auto.
You went over that same info in your initial post. It was not lost on me.  I was giving you info to determine what it is was short of a exact E1 designation so that you had a better idea of what the application may be. I can say for sure it is not for a Shelby. 67 Shelby's regardless of 4 speed or auto used W MO radiators (raised MFG designation letters on top tank) with specific engineering number ID tags soldered to the top tank . Your radiator is for a Dearborn or Metuchen built car given the engineering number is metal stamped into the side frames. Those were the plants those radiators were supplied to. It is still a valuable radiator but about half the market value of a comparable W MO radiator given the supply and demand.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 04:33:27 PM »

Lets see if this will help First I would not get hung up (for your purposes) on the E1 verses E2. Likely just a slight change or improvement between the first and second generation

Appears - according to buildsheets the E's were used on year 67 S code automatic Mustangs. Likely for non AC automatic 390's by the example below

Below is an example of a buildsheet with the radiator identification from 7T02S1562xx

Of course Bob has already helped you determine that the supplier of your radiator supplied the two eastern Mustang plants and not San Jose

Later in the production year Ford changed to

-Z for AC cars and -V for non AC 390 automatics
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline musclecarfan

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 01:54:26 AM »
Thank you both for clearing this up. Much appreciated.