Author Topic: Period Calif License plate look/stickers  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Norms67

Period Calif License plate look/stickers
« on: May 10, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
CA license plate....need to know what it is supposed to look like with old YOM plates. I have '66 tags on right because my car was born in late '66 (per Marti) but is a 1967 stang. The blue '67 sticker is on the left as done in the old days but I am not sure as to the accuracy of this as DMV says they want stickers on the right. Tags and license plate have been cleared and waiting for new issue of current month and year tags.

I did see that you can buy "ears" for the license plates that can be attached to the plates at the bottom with the current month and year attached as the CA DMV want. Does anyone have old yellow and black CA plates that can show me what the correct config would look like.

Please see my current attachment.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:02:38 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Period Calif License plate look/stickers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 05:01:01 PM »
Month stickers didn't come into usage until the 70's. Before that all registrations came due at the same time of the year (first of the calendar year)  so all you got was a year sticker and according to instruction the even number year stickers were applied to the upper left hand box and the odd years (63 stamped in the recess) in the upper right.

If your going to use them for road use you can't reproduce the original use since the state will require the current month and year unless you want to make a couple of corners that would fit over the upper two corners for the current stickers that could be removed exposing the period sticker and lack of sticker below for show. 

While we'r eon it the license plate you show would not typically be correct for a 66 or 67 Mustang originally sold in Calif :(   Knowing the original dealer would likely help confirm that
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Norms67

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:27:00 PM »
Month stickers didn't come into usage until the 70's. Before that all registrations came due at the same time of the year (first of the calendar year)  so all you got was a year sticker and according to instruction the even number year stickers were applied to the upper left hand box and the odd years (63 stamped in the recess) in the upper right.

If your going to use them for road use you can't reproduce the original use since the state will require the current month and year unless you want to make a couple of corners that would fit over the upper two corners for the current stickers that could be removed exposing the period sticker and lack of sticker below for show. 

While we'r eon it the license plate you show would not typically be correct for a 66 or 67 Mustang originally sold in Calif :(   Knowing the original dealer would likely help confirm that

Jeff,

Actually, based upon my info from the package the '67 year sticker came with the opposite is true for the "year" placement. The even number were on the right and the odd numbers on the left.

This is a San Jose car with all options. The info site I am referring to when I say "ears" is "oldplateguy.com". Please advise.

Again, with the car actually being sold in Dec. '66 would the year tag be issued in '66 or would they have just issue a '67 since it was close to the year that the car actually is.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »
The sticker should be the "expiration" year, at least it is now. The "Year of Manufacturer" directive is flawed in that way.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »
Jeff,

Actually, based upon my info from the package the '67 year sticker came with the opposite is true for the "year" placement. The even number were on the right and the odd numbers on the left.

Looks like we were both incorrect. The official instructions for the mid to late 60's was to place all of the year stickers in the same upper left corner no matter even or odd years.  Haven't found the 66 or 67 jacket but the two examples below suggest that the instructions from DMV was not based on even or odd.

Not that all or many owners read or followed the instructions nor was it something that the PD would typically pull you over for. Guess everyone I knew and my family figured it was much better to alternate so that they didn't build up. Was always a suggestion (sticker thief was somewhat common before the age of computers in the cop cars) that you always remove the prior year stickers and run a razor blade over the sticker a couple of times one it was applied

If you notice on the YOM page on the site you provided below most of the stickers on his examples 63-69 have the stickers applied to the upper left  no matter the year  ::) Maybe way too much pot available at the time  :o

The info site I am referring to when I say "ears" is "oldplateguy.com". Please advise.

Must be missing something - sorry don't see what your trying to describe
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 01:59:56 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Norms67

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:09:05 AM »
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the info.....here is the link to the sticker holders or "ears" I was referring to....could/should I run these sticker holders?

ww.oldplateguy.com/ca-yom-dmv-stickers-for-sale/ca-yom-dmv-car-truck-trailer-stickers/ca-yom-dmv-car-truck-trailer-stickers-1964-1980/

Got my info about the switching of the year sticker back and forth from side to side here on this site (about half way down the page). Obviously, as you mentioned not everyone adhered to the plan.

http://1967beetle.com/registering-black-plates/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:19:37 AM by Norms67 »

Offline nham3407

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
Only picture I could find showing my plate.  SJ built and stayed in Fresno until the mid 80's when I purchased it.  I was lucky enough to find a dealer plate frame on eBay last year.
67 GT S-Code, San Jose, 06/67
72 Mach 1, Dearborn, 01/72
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 12/67 (Red)
68 Merc. Cyclone, Lorain, 6/68 (White)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 05:39:20 PM »
Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the info.....here is the link to the sticker holders or "ears" I was referring to....could/should I run these sticker holders?

ww.oldplateguy.com/ca-yom-dmv-stickers-for-sale/ca-yom-dmv-car-truck-trailer-stickers/ca-yom-dmv-car-truck-trailer-stickers-1964-1980/

Yes I guess they could be used. Not certain how current law enforcement views these in CA. But since the car would likely only see limited use on the street you might be fine.

Got my info about the switching of the year sticker back and forth from side to side here on this site (about half way down the page). Obviously, as you mentioned not everyone adhered to the plan.

http://1967beetle.com/registering-black-plates/

My findings of letter patterns differ from the ones the site/VW owner suggests. Majority of the 68's I have recorded are "W". But sampling is always limited. There are some general patterns then you can try and focus on individual patterns of the regional office if you can find the examples. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:43:05 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline garciacg

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 02:41:01 AM »
What I've found with CA DMV plates from the 1960's is that it often depends on how one originally acquired the plates and/or where the car was purchased.  If you bought the car in a large metro area, then it usually followed that 67 plates would typically begin with T, U, V; 68 - V, W, X; 69 - X, Y, Z.   More or less.   

But if you picked up plates at an office out in podunk (e.g. San Andreas, Jackson or Placerville, CA for example) you might be issued a plate with a much earlier letter in the alphabet since those offices may not have exhausted their distribution of plates issued to them earlier.   

I grew up in Calaveras County, California (podunk) with the closest DMV offices being Jackson and San Andreas.  I distinctly recall late '60s cars purchased from dealers in those towns with plates beginning as low as "A".  Yes... I was geeky back then and paid attention to this stuff.  On one of my treks between home and college in San Luis Obispo back in 1977 I saw a '67 GTA fastback looking identical to mine except a black interior in Valley Springs, CA with a plate beginning "AEC" while mine was/is "VUT".  I later learned that the car had been purchased from Stewart's Ford in San Andreas in 1967.... about 12 miles from Valley Springs.

So based on my observations since at least 1974, it is plausible that very early '60s plates can be original to later '60s cars.
'67 GTA Fastback - San Jose - 7R02A198XXX

Body: 63A
Color: Dark Moss Green
Interior: Ivy Gold Standard Bucket Seats
Scheduled Build : 4/13/1967 (Actual Build 4/11/1967)
DSO:  72
Axle:  3.00:1
Transmission:  C-4

My first car... owned since 1974.

Offline garciacg

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »
Only picture I could find showing my plate.  SJ built and stayed in Fresno until the mid 80's when I purchased it.  I was lucky enough to find a dealer plate frame on eBay last year.

Along those lines, I snagged my original dealer plates on eBay.  I paid a lot, but my wife told me it was my Christmas present   :D.   It took me more than 10 years to find them and I was lucky enough to grab them within 10 minutes of them showing up.  They are new and were never installed on a vehicle.  The dealership (Cirimele Ford in Oakland) closed up in ~1971, so no wonder finding these has been a challenge.   According to my Marti Report, my car was built as a BASIC OFF-STANDARD on 4/11/67 but wasn't sold until 7/20/67 from Cirimele Ford.   Poor thing must have set on a lot for 3+ months.  Such a shame.  He lives a much more charmed life now.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »
3 mos isnt long...my 1968 was built in May of 68 and sold new Jan 1970

Offline garciacg

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 04:21:25 PM »
19 Months... Wow!   What model and how was it equipped?

Offline Hawkeye

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 05:32:23 PM »
I wonder how much my mom remembers about plates and stuff.  She worked at the Sacramento DMV until mid-1965.