Author Topic: 73 Mustang tach and guages. Want to upgrade  (Read 1304 times)

Offline 67foxgt390

• Long time Mustanger
73 Mustang tach and guages. Want to upgrade
« on: June 14, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »
  Hello, i recently purchased a 73 Mustang Conv with a Q code 351 and deluxe interior. The car does not have the optional tach and gauge package. I would like to add these to my car if I could. My question is can these be easily added to my car? Is this a just bolt them in along with the sending units or is this going to be involved like adding a whole different under dash wiring harness? I know the circuit board in the gauge cluster and can the tach be added separate from the gauges? Thanks in advance!!!

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 73 Mustang tach and guages. Want to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:22:56 AM »
While this is a concours forum, what you're asking for is not concours.  That said, you'll need to change your underdash harness, add the 3 gauge cluster and its harness, and to allow the ammeter to work, you'll need to change the headlight harness.  The dash cluster will need to be changed to tach-configuration as well.  RCCI offers a plug-in replacement 3 wire tach for the standard dash, using the standard dash cluster and its circuit card. 

I can modify the underdash harness, build you the 3 gauge cluster harness but cannot modify the headlight harness.  If you use the standard (non-tach) headlight harness, your ammeter will not have any signals.  RCCI offers a voltmeter replacement.  Right now, my services are down for likely the rest of the year due to repairs to the house/garage due to Hurricane Michael.
Hope this helps.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com