Author Topic: What do you do to old colors in modern paint?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Tiggie

What do you do to old colors in modern paint?
« on: July 06, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »
How are you all matching the old colors in modern base/clear?  Axalta and PPG distributors are telling me they can do single stage or low budget base/clear (Omni or Nason), but can’t mix it in the better bases.  I use the term match loosely since it will be an all over job.

I don’t have a good sample for their color matching camera thing.

I’m specifically looking for Presidential Blue...
1968 8F01C191017, Built May 8, 1968
1994 GT, April 1994 Build

Offline Scott302

Re: What do you do to old colors in modern paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:34:18 PM »
According to my PPG paint supplier..."many of the older colors do not translate to new paint colors.  Approximately 90% of the colors from the mid-80's and back will not give a current formula in the newer technologies.  That being said, we can match just about anything in the newer paints."  Meaning they can mix and tint to match any sample provided.
Regards,
Scott
Scott Halseth
Ford Product Manager
National Parts Depot
MCA#01776

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: What do you do to old colors in modern paint?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 05:33:16 AM »
According to my PPG paint supplier..."many of the older colors do not translate to new paint colors.  Approximately 90% of the colors from the mid-80's and back will not give a current formula in the newer technologies.  That being said, we can match just about anything in the newer paints."  Meaning they can mix and tint to match any sample provided.
Regards,
Scott

Yes, they can match any OF THE NEWER COLORS by tinting but my experience with two paint stores I have tried, EVERY attempt to match any color will be paid for by YOU, the customer. At the prices for a minimum mix (a pint), you will likely spend a few hundred bucks on trying to match while in the end, settling on "close enough".

My suggestion, use the colors they have already formulated and save yourself the hassles of going for a perfect match unless money is no problem. If you have enough money and are willing to spend it freely, you can likely get a really good match but I would do this at a body shop with an experienced eye for matching colors for collision work.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments