Author Topic: Radio repair  (Read 2955 times)

Offline 68 S Code

Radio repair
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:30 PM »
Planning to use my original am/fm radio in the 68 restoration project. I had it tested locally and it sounds (or in his case doesn't) like the FM side is working but am is non functional. I guess lets start with this question first, is it worthwhile to repair the am side if I don't listen to it? Is it worth the effort to even worry about fixing it? Maybe needs to be used to fill the void in the console but then hide a modern unit somewhere? Planning to do this street driven concourse so would the judges frown? If they do then who would people here recommend? I saw in Hemmings a few months ago about someone out in New York who specializes in Ford radios. Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Radio repair
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
If you plan to send it out for any repairs or restoration at all, might as well have the AM part fixed.  You know it would bug you later on!  At least get an estimate to fix it, might not be an expensive proposition.

From an MCA show perspective, we don't do technical inspections, so no AM would be a non-issue.  Other clubs might have different rules.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:47 AM »
If you were to ever sell the car, would you want to tell a perspective buyer that something (anything ) does not work ? Wouldn't that put you off just a little? It would me . You never know what small thing combined with other issues may add up to equal a deal breaker on a transaction. This is only in the case that you are concerned about the investment aspect of your car . Obviously if you never plan to sell the car and don't listen to the AM  no sense spending the money to get the AM fixed. Just my 2 cents. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »
Two very good points. Any recommendations on who could look at it to determine what needs to get done. I've had great luck with the persons recommended on this site for other things.

Offline imnutz66

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
I just used Charles Roberts in Hueytown AL, he advertises in Hemmings, he just serviced and repaired my am/fm and added an mp3 player input, I think the total cost was around 60.  mountianradiorepair@hotmail.com
70 Mach 1 351C 4V 4Speed
Dearborn
Born October, 1969

Offline svo2scj

• Car Collector and home to WHEEL CITY FAIRLANE
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 03:59:56 PM »
Probably just the AM is not matched to the antenna.

Set volume at comfortable level on a FM station
Switch to an AM station on the high end of the band (far right)
Use small screwdriver to "trim" (read get a louder signal) in the hole below the tuning knob

Test results at 1050AM

Mark
1969 R Code , Sportsroof (non Mach) W Axle
AB , Standard Interior  San Jose built 4/22/1969

Offline SCJSTU

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:16 PM »
Wards radio did a Dodge Challenger 1970 am/fm thumbwheel radio for me and it turned out looking brand new......push buttons did not work and he fixed that...

don't be turned off by all the Dodge and GM radios on the website they do them all.....

http://www.wardsclassiccarradiorepair.com/index.html
1969 Shelby GT350 convertible  4spd-AC built 1-27-69
1967 Mustang S-Code 4-speed built Jan 1967 non therm
1956 Ford F100 Big Window 392 Hemi

1961 Falcon 2 Door Station Wagon 302V8
2004 Mach 1 Azure Blue

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 09:39:32 PM »
Thanks for the  two leads. I will call both next week. I like the MP3 option if it's stealth.