Author Topic: Fuel Filter ID?  (Read 5573 times)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
Fuel Filter ID?
« on: December 06, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
Anyone know how the C5AE, FG-15 Rotunda filter on the bottom in the first picture was used? Was this an assemly line or replacement piece? Sure is odd looking compared to the more traditional style.

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel Filter ID?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:27:26 PM »
Anyone know how the C5AE, FG-15 Rotunda filter on the bottom in the first picture was used? Was this an assemly line or replacement piece? Sure is odd looking compared to the more traditional style.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave,I have never seen the one on the bottom used on a GT350. If I were to guess I would guess it was before 65 .   The metal stamped one in the top picture is the only assemblyline one have I seen used. I have seen that one with variations in color of the hex nut base from gold or silver. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 12:41:25 AM »
Bob, thanks for the info. I've never seen the weird Rotunda filter on a GT350 either. I was thinking that it was an earlier thing too but found it confusing that it has the same C5AE number metal or ink stamped on all other FG-15 filters I've seen.  Thanks, Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:58:30 AM »
Bob, thanks for the info. I've never seen the weird Rotunda filter on a GT350 either. I was thinking that it was an earlier thing too but found it confusing that it has the same C5AE number metal or ink stamped on all other FG-15 filters I've seen.  Thanks, Dave
The silk screen ones are generally 69 or later vintage.Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline PerkinsRestoration

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:09 PM »

Dave, Are you sure the engineering numbers are the same in your photos? I believe the Hex shaped Rotunda marked filter is a C5AE-9155-A2. The original assembly line filter has an engineering number of C5AE-9155-A4 as shown in my photo. The Autolite FG 15 in your filter is too late to be a 65-66 era FG 15 due to the Autolit logo. Your filter should have a date code on the nut.
  The assembly line filter with the blue cap and the C5AZ-9155-B filer are the same as the filters in my four unrestored 66 cars. I believe the Rotunda hex shaped filter was an assembly line filter used on trucks and vans. 

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 10:59:04 PM »
Bob,

Thanks for the pics. I just grabbed the Autolite filter and included it in the picture as an example of a more traditional style. It has a C5AZ-9155-B engineering number so am assuming it is a service replacement? Not sure where it fits in. The total hex Rotunda body filter does have a C5AE-9155-A2 engineering number. I can't find a date code on the nut, or anywhere else, on either filter.

I have several other filters ink stamped in red with a C5AE-9155-A4 like your pics but have Autolite instead of Rotunda. Again no date codes that I can find. They come in Autolite star logo C5AZ-9155-B boxes. Any chance these are assembly line correct for later (March) 66? If service replacements what time frame would they fit in?

Thanks,
Dave

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 01:30:29 AM »
After seeing BP's pictures I should have said -all of the inked screened filters I have seen used on GT350's had Autolite and service 69 and later dates on them. I have seen the same style but with the metal stamped Autolite (no date)used on 67 GT350 in vintage photos and personal observation. Bob

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 09:14:05 PM »
After seeing BP's pictures I should have said -all of the inked screened filters I have seen used on GT350's had Autolite and service 69 and later dates on them. I have seen the same style but with the metal stamped Autolite (no date)used on 67 GT350 in vintage photos and personal observation. Bob

Have seen the metal stamped C5 filter on 66 automatic GT350's also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:39:04 PM »
So where does the one pictured below fit in? Same red ink engineering number as Bob P's photos except Autolite instead of Rotunda. All the filters Bob G. is talking about with 69 and later silk screened dates and numbers that I've seen have a black ink stamping.

Thanks,
Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »
So where does the one pictured below fit in? Same red ink engineering number as Bob P's photos except Autolite instead of Rotunda. All the filters Bob G. is talking about with 69 and later silk screened dates and numbers that I've seen have a black ink stamping.

Thanks,
Dave

Maybe a late 66, spot on for 1967. I would give full credit on any 66 or 67. Very rare filter in Rotunda or Autolite. Ford advertised the change from Fomoco and Rotunda trademarks to Autolite for the 67 Model year such as oil filters, fuel filters, electrical parts etc. in many of the major trade magazines, shop tips etc. There are numerous variations in the FG 15 from 65-69. Same goes for oil filters, air filters etc. 

Offline s2ms

• 6S1757 Info
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
Maybe a late 66, spot on for 1967. I would give full credit on any 66 or 67. Very rare filter in Rotunda or Autolite. Ford advertised the change from Fomoco and Rotunda trademarks to Autolite for the 67 Model year such as oil filters, fuel filters, electrical parts etc. in many of the major trade magazines, shop tips etc. There are numerous variations in the FG 15 from 65-69. Same goes for oil filters, air filters etc.
Thanks for the info Bob.

More commonly I see the red ink stamped Autolite FG-15 like my picture above but with a goldish (zinc dichromte?) finish. Would that style be equally as correct for 66-67 as the silver colored body or is it a later style?

Thanks,
Dave

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:24 PM »
Thanks for the info Bob.

More commonly I see the red ink stamped Autolite FG-15 like my picture above but with a goldish (zinc dichromte?) finish. Would that style be equally as correct for 66-67 as the silver colored body or is it a later style?

Thanks,
Dave

Later dated, usually have a date code as well that is 68-69. The one you have pictured is first generation Autolite FG 15.

Offline cbrown

• Silver Level Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:03:22 PM »
might be silly question but, if using the correct style filter for 67 350  does the gasket get used? the reason i ask is i am  installing  the correct brass adapter in carb on my 67 and it seams as if the other that the fuel filter screws into is not a tapered pipe thread. Dont know if i should use thread tape or use gasket.

chris