Author Topic: Fastback in the Paint Shop need advice  (Read 3182 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback in the Paint Shop need advice
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 03:26:46 PM »
Hi Bob I think I have a better idea of what the body shop wants to do now. Step one: install some used suspension parts for mock up and blocking etc, and then once the mock up is done remove the old suspension. Then put it back on the cart and paint it, and then remove from the car mounted on my restored suspension.

They also want to drop a motor in for weight, but not my restored motor. Does this make sense? It is more work for sure, but I will do all of the suspension install and removal

I guess if you enjoy installing and removing suspension that is fine. It seems like a huge waste of time and there is always a chance of damaging something.
Best of luck what ever you decide.   

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »
I guess if you enjoy installing and removing suspension that is fine. It seems like a huge waste of time and there is always a chance of damaging something.
Best of luck what ever you decide.

Agreed it does seem like a waste of time and no I didn't enjoy do thing unnecessarily!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 03:40:28 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline preaction

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
Taking my car for paint in 2 weeks we put it on a dolly.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 03:48:49 PM »

Looks like we have the same cart/dolly. Did you do any mock up at all or just removed all of the sheet metal. Any plans to do a mock up? Or will you just paint on the dolly and paint the rest of the parts off the car and then just assemble after paint?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:28:44 PM by carlite65 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »

Your car looks very clean. What did you use to strip it. It also looks very straight and rust free like mine.
Mike

Offline preaction

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »
That body was soda blasted and the painter will be doing all of the fitting and mocking up  their better at it than me. ;)
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 06:46:48 PM »
Hi Bob I think I have a better idea of what the body shop wants to do now. Step one: install some used suspension parts for mock up and blocking etc, and then once the mock up is done remove the old suspension. Then put it back on the cart and paint it, and then remove from the car mounted on my restored suspension.

They also want to drop a motor in for weight, but not my restored motor. Does this make sense? It is more work for sure, but I will do all of the suspension install and removal
I think it would be prudent then to also have them weight the doors and use the export brace on the front as described. The weight of the engine will not tell them if the shock towers have moved. Then again they probably already know that given all of the award winning cars that they have done  ::) insert sarcasm for good measure.     
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
I think it would be prudent then to also have them weight the doors and use the export brace on the front as described. The weight of the engine will not tell them if the shock towers have moved. Then again they probably already know that given all of the award winning cars that they have done  ::) insert sarcasm for good measure.   

Well obviously this is all new to them for the most part. If I had the intention of doing a full concourse restoration when I started I would have taken my car to a shop that specializes in concours restorations. Unfortunately I find myself in this position now and I am just trying to get it done right and minimize any mistakes or redo's, so my only option now is to ask questions here and show the shop how to do it. Clearly they are taking the same approach they do on all the other cars they do. Up to this point it has been ok other than the fact that I ended up in this current dilemma, but the quality of the work is good. I am going to meet with the shop next week to discus and hopefully we get it all sorted out. Like I said I was expecting the car to be painted on the cart. I am trying to source an original export brace. I am happy with the work they have done up to this point. My next big concern will be getting things like over scary correct.

They have always planned on weighting the doors and making sure that they line up correctly. The irony is that now I know who the concours guys are in town, but they are not painting the car
Mike

Offline 69bossnut

• DSD Restorations LLC
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »
As others have already stated only need to add weight to doors to get gap pre-adjusted. I just test fit all the front cap sheet metal, more so for panel alignment (ie. flatness of panel to one another) Incase some tweaking has to be done before body prep. Then just check body panels for gross errors on panel gap meaning will make sure they are close & have plenty adjustments for final assembly. The front sheet metal is the last thing on the resto that goes on after the engine is in (for me anyway). Then I final set the gaps in the front sheet metal. I notice a lot of non concour type shops that mostly do generic Restorations or build hot rods seem to do it like your shop is suggesting. Like stated all cars originally were painted on a body buck without front end in place. Especially in your case where no sheet metal was replaced or damaged. Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:23:18 PM by 69bossnut »
DAVID DAVIS
DSD RESTORATIONS LLC
5075 E. COUNTY RD. 126
BLYTHEVILLE, AR. 72315
870-780-4999
dsdresto@gmail.com
www.dsdrestoration.com

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »
As others have already stated only need to add weight to doors to get gap pre-adjusted. I just test fit all the front cap sheet metal, more so for panel alignment (ie. flatness of panel to one another) Incase some tweaking has to be done before body prep. Then just check body panels gross errors on panel gap meaning will make sure they are close & have plenty adjustments for final assembly. The front sheet metal is the last thing on the resto that goes on after the engine is in (for me anyway). Then I final set the gaps in the front sheet metal. I notice a lot of non concour type shops that mostly do generic Restorations or build hot rods seem to do it like your shop is suggesting. Like stated all cars originally were painted on a body buck without front end in place. Especially in your case where no sheet metal was replaced or damaged. Good luck with your project.

Thanks Dave I think you are bang on
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 04:41:13 PM »
Just a side thought or possibility

The shop doesn't want to reassemble the body so that can skim coat the whole thing and take it down that way?  Just wondering since that is a fairly common practice in some areas and certain shops if they are looking to produce a really flat car and "dipped in paint/plastic" final look popular in some parts of the hobby. Tons of clears and layers help add to the dipped look also on many of these cars.  Does produce a pretty car just not an original looking finished product IMHO
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:09:14 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 06:35:51 PM »
Just a side thought or possibility

The shop doesn't want to reassemble the body so that can skim coat the whole thing and take it down that way?  Just wondering since that is a fairly common practice in some areas and certain shops if they are looking to produce a really flat car and "dipped in paint/plastic" final look popular in some parts of the hobby. Tons of clears and layers help add to the dipped look also on many of these cars.  Does produce a pretty car just not an original looking finished product IMHO

Good point Jeff. They do all kinds of different jobs and some of their work is custom and some is stock. They do nice work, but concours is not their bread and butter. My challenge now is to steer them on course and try to have things done outside of their comfort zone, while making sure that I get the job I want.
Mike