Author Topic: Drip Rail Seam Sealer?  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Angela

Drip Rail Seam Sealer?
« on: March 22, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »
What are you guys using to seal drip rails?
In the past, where I haven't needed to completely remove factory sealant, I've simply applied some 3M fast-n-firm  and called it good.

However, in the case where I'd have to replace the roof and drip rails, I think I need some sort of 2K sealant. I've been considering SEM self-leveling sealer: https://www.semproducts.com/product/dual-mixtm-self-leveling-seam-sealer/sealer#product-details

However, I'm wondering how one keeps this stuff from running out the vertical section at the quarter window???

Advice? Thanks.

Offline suede57ford

Re: Drip Rail Seam Sealer?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 02:44:09 AM »
3M 5887 EZ Sand Multi Purpose Materal is probably going to be the easiest to use and last forever.   It's a  gray two part epoxy and flows slightly so the edges soften and the trigger marks go away. You can use masking tape the width that you want the bead to be then use  a spreader to tool it  and set the bead height, then immediately remove the tape.  It will flow slightly and look nice.   It's sandable in 15 minutes and if you don't like the way it looks it can easily be a sanded and shaped with 80 grit, 180, and primed.  It's recommended to apply over two part or epoxy primer and not bare metal for best corrosion resistance.  The reason for priming before seam sealing is because this is the way OEM now do it.  New cars are e-coat primed then the seam sealer is applied, followed by paint.  This is the best for corrosion resistance.  There are some great seam seam sealer duplication video on YouTube under search "3M OEM Seam Sealer Tech Tips".  I would not use a one-part product as they can shrink and crack in time.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:08:38 PM »
I had very good luck with Evercoat 100823.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 08:51:38 AM »
Thanks guys!
The Evercoat 100823 product looked very interesting to me. However, from what I can tell, it looks like they no longer manufacturer it. I saw some forum discussion about their being some sort of a problem with the product and they decided to stop making it???

Anyway, I've been pulling datasheets and reading about the following list. None of these seem like a good compromise for both the horizontal and vertical sections of the drip rail. If anyone has suggestions concerning how to use a product which works well in the horizontal section, in the vertical areas around the quarter window, I'd appreciate tips.

Unfortunately, all of these products are $40-$50 each, hence I can't afford to buy three or four and experiment.

3M 08307 Self-leveling seam sealer: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Self-Leveling-Seam-Sealer/?N=5002385+3293194024&rt=rud
3M 08308 heavy bodied seam seamler
3M 5887 EZ Sand Multi Purpose

SEM 39377 seam sealer
SEM 39387 self-leveling
SEM 39777 high build self leveling