Author Topic: Remove paint from data plate  (Read 996 times)

Offline 3219alexanderm

Remove paint from data plate
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
Anyone have success in removing paint overspray from the factory data plate?

Offline jwc66k

Re: Remove paint from data plate
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 12:19:27 AM »
Try "Krud-Kutter" stocked at Home Depot. It's a paint remover and cleaner (I clean my dirty fingerprints off kitchen cabinet doors with it). As always, try any unfamiliar product on a similar surface, or any surface, just to get the feel. Mask off the plate, or (as I see in your other posts it's an early car) remove it and try cleaning it off the car. You can get new riveits at AMK products. You can also get a new data plate at Marti Auto.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 09:03:31 AM »
I have had success removing paint from a data plate using Goof Off poured on a rag and then carefully rubbing the plate. Personally I would rather see an original plate with overspray and original rivets. As soon as I see a reproduction plate I am suspicious of everything. Same with replaced rivets. At that point who knows what you are looking at?

Anyone have success in removing paint overspray from the factory data plate?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline 3219alexanderm

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 04:33:42 PM »
Thanks. I will remove the plate as part of the restoration process. I have NOS factory rivets. The original data plate appears to be in good condition, but it is covered in some type of enamel paint. Initially, I considered a heat gun, but have concerns about damaging the plate. Chemical paint removers should work. I was told to dip the plate in lacquer thinner for a couple hours? Perfect or not, I have every intention of putting the factory plate back on the car.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 05:12:45 PM »
When I think chemicals or anything for a couple of hours I assume that everything, including the original black paint, would be removed
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 06:33:28 PM »
.... Chemical paint removers should work. I was told to dip the plate in lacquer thinner for a couple hours? Perfect or not, I have every intention of putting the factory plate back on the car.

Would not try these without testing them on a scrap door tag before hand. Soemthing I did when I was experimenting with cleaning buildsheets. For the real deal ( the important personal car) you only get one try and if it doesn't work - poof its gone or in your case all the original printing is  Both lacquer thinner and paint strippers IMHO are just methods at trying to speed up the process. Would rather take days and be careful with the original tag than quick. But your car your choices. we/others will learn through your success or failure. ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)