Author Topic: Bare Metal Color paint  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Angela

Bare Metal Color paint
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »
What are you guys using to replicate surfaces which were left bare steel when manufactured?

I used to use POR-15 "Metal Mask" which appears to be no longer available.

I also think I used a product from Eastwood which might have been called "bare Metal" and was available in quarts. This product is also no longer available.

Eastwood also used to sell an aerosol matte finish clear paint which they call "rust encapsolator".  This stuff worked awesome and was specifically made to apply directly to bare steel. Sadly, they quite selling it years ago and only sell the gloss version now.

What products do you guys use?
Thanks!

Offline 67gta289

Re: Bare Metal Color paint
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:57:31 AM »
I like the Seymour stainless steel paint (16-054) for this.   I've only used it in spray cans, for small parts and small areas.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:33:47 PM »
Allot of the product you mentioned IMHO didn't leave a finish that replicated bare steel. often they provided a glossy or dipped in plastic look.  If your asking about bare steel ( a term used to describe just about any originally unpainted surface including plated ones - by some people I've used stainless steel  rattle cans when I had to.  Since its been so many years since I went that direction I don't know if the brand I used is being made currently
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rrenz

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 04:06:41 PM »
for dark steel VHT cast iron has a nice look to it. The VHT aluminum is also nice. however my favorite for lighter steel is brake gray from Eastwood. I sprayed some on a master cylinder once and it was almost impossible to tell. However replicating actual bare steel on a part that might be machined is going to be rather difficult.
Ryan
1966 C Code NJ Springtime Yellow
C-4 Automatic
Build Date Jan 21st
2001 3.8 Mustang Convertible
2004 40th Anniversary

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »
Click here: https://www.nyalic.com/

What are you guys using to replicate surfaces which were left bare steel when manufactured?

I used to use POR-15 "Metal Mask" which appears to be no longer available.

I also think I used a product from Eastwood which might have been called "bare Metal" and was available in quarts. This product is also no longer available.

Eastwood also used to sell an aerosol matte finish clear paint which they call "rust encapsolator".  This stuff worked awesome and was specifically made to apply directly to bare steel. Sadly, they quite selling it years ago and only sell the gloss version now.

What products do you guys use?
Thanks!
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock