Non-Mustang Ford & Mercury Models > Cougar 1967-73

1968 Cougar S code/4 speed driveshaft markings

<< < (2/2)

sportyworty:
I bet that would have been appreciated last year.
There are cases of same part number having different color identifiers. It has been suggested that different plants could show variance as well as application. For example CJ vs SCJ.
We do know as a sub assembly the S and R car use a different shaft considering yolk and joints. The build sheet likely has a L in front of the BLU but is on a crease shared with Radiator L1 so matching chart. Sometimes faint daubs, stripes and even casting dates and vins are easier to see with some guide or hint of what could be expected or the norm. Perhaps his White is LGR and Pink is faded RED as an example.
Anyway some good points observed outside of published manuals here worth a read if interested.
https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-driveshaft

PacificaXR7GT:
This is a duplicate of a post I made on the Classic Cougar forum and Royce was kind enough to quickly respond with that information over there back when I first posted. If anyone is interested to see better images of what I found on my car, here is a link: https://classiccougarcommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9851&hilit=driveshaft&start=60

I am a complete novice, both with this specific information and with Mustang/Cougar restoration. The only car I have experience with is my own 68 GT Cougar.

I did spend quite a bit of time looking around on the web and I noted any build sheets I could find. Here is a summary of what I have found so far. Each instance is either noted with the VIN or with a URL for where the information came from.

I only used information from build sheet images that I found on the web or from verified owners who provided information from their own build sheets. Any VIN numbers listed were already available on open source so I didn't feel the need to redact here.

This spreadsheet only contains data regarding 68-70 Mustangs and Cougars equipped with MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.

Edited 2/25/21 with new data points on spreadsheet. Thanks to Jeff Speegle for sharing (data from Jeff in bold)

Edited 2/26 to remove '69 S code Cougar (determined to be C6 transmission)

Edited 2/27 to include data from Cobra Jet registry (thanks Sportyworty!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version