Author Topic: Please Bag and Tag!  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Please Bag and Tag!
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:07:20 PM »
I thought I did a fairly good job bagging and tagging my 65.
Now that I have to bolt up some tin body panels and mock up a decidedly non-stock engine (not the intent of this post) prior to paint I find my efforts have been fairly poor.

I've spent hours sorting through the bucket called interior, which was wholly inadequate, and other metal coffee cans (remember those?). More time looking for the cone-style bolt for the under car crossmember. I finally made a temporary version using a stud and a nut ground down to a cone shape.

Please do yourself a very big favor and buy a large box of zipper style sandwich bags. These have white label areas, which I don't use, but black sharpies work well on any part of the exterior. The type with the slide zipper seem stronger and actually stay shut.

Back to the sorting nightmare...
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline jwc66k

Re: Please Bag and Tag!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 12:40:01 AM »
Which is why I created a spreadsheet for my 66GT Fastback, to keep track of the hardware. When you do a batch of hardware to be phosphated or send a batch to a plater to be clear or gold zinc plated, it's to your advantage to know what  went, and a bag don't always work. Read Phosphating 101 for the steps I take to process hardware.
Attached, before and after.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 12:51:46 AM »
Along with hundreds of pictures and bagging/tagging, I also use digital calipers to measure fasteners and will note them in a book for reference along with orientation, head markings, type (disc vs star), etc...

Can never have too many notes. 

Also, when I am doing a car, I'll pull from as many resources as possible to find reference cars/photos within 10k units in both directions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 11:12:21 PM »
I thought I did a fairly good job bagging and tagging my 65.
Now that I have to bolt up some tin body panels and mock up a decidedly non-stock engine (not the intent of this post) prior to paint I find my efforts have been fairly poor.

I've spent hours sorting through the bucket called interior, which was wholly inadequate, and other metal coffee cans (remember those?). More time looking for the cone-style bolt for the under car crossmember. I finally made a temporary version using a stud and a nut ground down to a cone shape.

Please do yourself a very big favor and buy a large box of zipper style sandwich bags. These have white label areas, which I don't use, but black sharpies work well on any part of the exterior. The type with the slide zipper seem stronger and actually stay shut.

Do not feel bad I think most of us have been there.

The good thing is that pain is a good teacher. Also why I post here to prevent others from sharing my pain.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »
The real question is what do you do with the bags? My solution was a spreadsheet, some racks, some low profile boxes, some small Dixie cup, some cleaned out soup cans, some big boxes - etc. It's called "inventory control". (The bags went away.)
At one time I had six Mustangs I was working on. I'm down to 3. (I also supplied parts to other Mustang owners and restorers.) I used the Osborn Manuals as a "basis" for the inventory. That "basis" uses part numbers. Part numbers are your friends.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline JohnSlack

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:48:08 PM »
When we moved to Washington State from California, all of the parts for my 1969 BOSS 302 were bagged and tagged, and in boxes carefully placed on pallet rack shelving. However 1,200 miles later and with movers placing items that started in the garage in the library and items that started out in the guest room in the garage. Well, I couldn't find a darn thing especially as parts were put into a storage unit, then forgetting what was packed in which box. 10 years later with a 1970 BOSS 302 added to the group along with the associated parts that arrived with it. Well, I couldn't find a darn thing.

Covid-19 hits and my daughter was home from school and my job was furloughed leaving the both of us with a ton of time on our hands. We started an inventory, culminating in a spreadsheet with everything listed (well almost everything, we keep finding things I forgot we had) by part number, item name, and quantity with where in the heck the parts are.

I would suggest going beyond bag and tag, the spreadsheet is searchable and location makes the job of finding something take minutes, instead of days. The better your inventory process, the easier eveiis accomplished.
John

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:50:14 PM »
Knowing some of you and how organized you can be,  I'm surprised none of you are using tags and bar scanners  to up load to your computer and the cloud   ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:27:32 PM »
Knowing some of you and how organized you can be,  I'm surprised none of you are using tags and bar scanners  to up load to your computer and the cloud   ::)
Some of us still like the old method: marks-alot, paper and pencil. 

I agree with JohnSlack, when I did Midlife some 17 years ago, I put similar stuff in a tub, marked with marks-alot, index cards, bags, and a note book of all the items that went into that tub.  The tub was marked as well (e.g. suspension, brakes, wires. etc.)  I was able to find everything when I had to.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com